1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regular key not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AAA, Nov 24, 2013.

1. AAA

AAA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2007 Prius, recently bought
    Has smart key (2 doors and trunk with buttons, + 2 regular keys)
    Had intermittent problems with reacting to remote, usually passing after repeated pressing buttons twice or trice; or after using regular key to get inside (electronically released locks after turning counter clock wise)

Drove from warm climate into winter ~28-36 F, parked overnight. Morning no reaction to fob, but reg key does nothing either... It turns quarter circle counter clock wise, but nothing happens. Did it in two consecutive repetitions as well (read somewhere it should open up all electronically) Previously this activated unlocking of all.
    Battery previously did show 12.5 V dropping to 12.3 V without load and 12.0 V dropping to 11.9 V with load and was charging at ~14 V

I though the reg key OPENS locks, not just triggers electronics...

I am assuming 12 v battery died, but what about the mechanical part of it?..

Also, if/when I call lock out service, what should they do?

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The regular key will work when the battery is down, but it takes more force to unlock it. Once you get the 12 volt battery changed out, the regular key should work again easily as before plus the key fobs should work better. It would be a good idea to replace the battery in both key fobs also. Uses a CR2032 lithium battery. You can buy them anywhere that sells batteries. I got ours at Walgreens.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The regular mechanical was probably never ever used and is corroded up. Before forcing it go to Home Depot and buy a spray can of CSP spray grease. Shoot some in the key hole and gently work the key back and forth until its easy to lock and unlock.
    The mechanical door key has no connection to 12 volts which is why they gave you the mechanical. In case the 12 volt dies you can get into the car.

Pay attention to the RED LED on the top right of the key Fob. Push any button and the RED LED should be nice and bright. If dim the CR2032 FOB battery needs to be changed. Also while you have the remote apart to replace the battery clean the rubber button membrane with soap and water and inspect it closely for wear or malformation.
    Inspect the little printed circuit assy for corrosion.
    Many reports of the rubber button area malformed from years of use and semi engaging the button while in pocket unbeknownst to the owner causing the FOB battery premature death.

And if your seeing 11.9 under load on the 12 volt battery that needs to be replaced also. Thousands of posts about replacement batteries on this site. Most posted thing ever here. I am running an Optima Yellow Top drop in bought online at Advance Auto $169 out the door.

If I bought a used 2007 Prius I would replace the 12 volt battery immediately proactively. You do not want to have a dead 12 volt battery in this car. It will ruin your day.

4. AAA

AAA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Appreciate much.
    Now, does anybody remember, how far the reg. key supposed to go: quarter round, half or more? Clock wise or counter?
    Mine does go a quarter counter clock wise.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1/8 turn clockwise to unlock. (12:00 to 1:30)