1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

regular techron, or high mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by k1ngn0thing, Jul 17, 2022.

1. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    07 277k oil burning has recently gotten a lot worse, at least a quart per 1k. MPG doesn't appear to be suffering which I've heard would be the case if the valve stem seals are to blame, so I plan to try techron for a few tanks of gas to see if that improves things. I'm noticing they have a high mileage variant of their product and I'm wondering if there's any reason not to use that over the standard. I'm just assuming the latter is more concentrated, and given the prius tank holds less oil than the recommended dilution ratio to begin with, maybe it's better to use the regular stuff.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you considered doing a piston soak?
    Can you post an image of the product(s) you're using?

Best to only use the offered products that have the wording "concentrate plus" on the label. Everything else has little, or no PEA.

Here is one example, and there may be others in the retail space :

chevron_techron_concentrate_plus_complete_fuel_system_cleaner_20-oz.jpg

3. aleyoop

aleyoop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is anecdotal...but i've never felt any difference in my high mileage cars from any techron product...

Then again...i drive my cars on long distance, high speed trips...so maybe that has something to do with it...

4. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Techron High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner | Chevron Lubricants (US) this is the high mileage one. Though it looks like my oil burning problem isn't as bad as I thought, and that it had simply accelerated as I hadn't done an oil change in about 5k miles and had just been topping it up, and the last quart I used to do so was conventional (added to Valvoline synthetic). Just did an oil change with mobil 1 synthetic and so far it has been burning a lot less than 1qt/1k.

#4 k1ngn0thing, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022