1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reinstalling hybrid battery problem. one end 220v and other 0v.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jackw71, Jan 26, 2021.

1. jackw71

jackw71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replaced all cells of my 2005 Prius hybrid battery. Put back the plug, voltage read is 220v. - meaning Cell is seated correctly and connecting is good. Put battery back in the car. after connect all cables, try to start the car. Screen show hybrid problem and "red triangle". Can not go to "D". only go to "N".
    While the system is on, on the battery pack the two cables out have a reading of 0v , the other side reading 220v. My 12v battery is new: replaced 6 months ago and reading is good.
    Checked history on Forum, "Parrish21r" had the same problem but did not post the final finding and how to solve the problem.
    Please help .

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, assuming you checked the orange safety plug wires that tell ECU that orange plug is completely in place, I'd think you have a problem with your three relays. But it's weird because those almost never fail and people who replace them later realize it was something else.

Do you have an OBD2 reader and Dr. Prius or mini-VCI and Toyota Techstream to tell us the exact error codes and subcodes?

Make sure you check all the plugs and wires... There's more than 100 connections that have to happen for everything to work again.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think what you're saying here is "the other side" of the relays. Right? Looks like PriusCamper also thought that's what you meant.

Does the green READY appear on the dash? If it doesn't, those relays are supposed to be off, that's what they're there for. The HV ECU doesn't close those relays and go READY until it has checked everything it checks and decided everything is safe to go.

So if the HV ECU thinks there is some reason not to go READY, you'll likely get a head start on your troubleshooting by connecting a Prius-capable scan tool and getting its trouble codes. They will tell you why your HV ECU doesn't think everything's right yet. Note that whatever reasons Parrish21r's ECU didn't want to go ready four years ago in a different car could have been completely different. You should just ask your own HV ECU what it is reacting to in your own case.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like the classic example of "Step 3" not being performed...

Safety Disconnect Installation Procedure.jpg

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think he doesn't even understand thats a relay. if you dont understand that relays function in the grand scheme of things you really shouldn't even be in there but...

probably the orange safety switch is not locked.
    You push that plug in the lever flips up...THEN you slide that lever straight down till it clicks. Its now locked and loaded.

There's a little switch that lever engages and tells the ecu at least you have the the safety switch in right.

If it still will not turn that relay on you probably have a ground fault.

Anything the car detects thats funky with that battery the system will not close that relay and allow it to connect to the car till that problem is fixed and code cleared.

Fix the safety switch.. Then disconnect the 12 volt battery that will temporarily clear the code its launched and see if it starts. It will take 2 start attempts. First one will light all the lights on the dash. Shut it off and try again.

if its a ground fault it will come back again..

Oh btw it will not start without the ground strap bracket on either. The starp that goes across the 2 cables that leave the battery

6. jackw71

jackw71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Orange safety switch is locked and is completely in place. As description above, ....Straight down till it "clicks. "
    Disconnected the three cables from 12v battery and recharge the battery to full. Reconnect the 12v battery. Start my car, Still have the same problem: screen display shows "problem" when start. Dash board shows red triangle.
    Before I changed my hybrid battery cells, dash board show "red triangle", but it is still drivable. But now the stick only go to "N" and not drivable.
    Will use a blue tooth mini OBD II and Dr. Prius to scan the car this weekend. Thanks for your reply.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you install the ground strap I talked about?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    and bolted the box to the car chassis?

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you assembled the battery, did you make this connection? It sometimes gets forgotten about and is the wire for the safety interlock. No connection=no interlock signal. Never hurts to get actual codes tho...

Safety Plug interlock connector.JPG

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. jackw71

jackw71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I solved the problems. The used hybrid battery I bought from junkyard stay too long without using. It is a gen3 2012 battery at 66k. I did tested all cells and reading at 7.5v. Then I put all in 2005 battery tray and had the problem I Described above. Today, I charge each Battery cell to 7.7v and put back. It works! When I started my Prius, there still has red triangle on dashboard. After I Drove some Miles, The new battery was charged and balanced by itself, The Red triangle on the dashboard is gone. Everything is working.
    This is a 2012 Prius battery that I use in my 2005 car, Gen 3 battery can used in gen 2 car. Hope it will last longer.
    Thanks everyone for helping me and hope my experience will help some one.