1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ReInVolt PHEV Plan

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know perfectly well i have no facts or data about reinvolt packs in nhw11 priuses, (but of your little list only the last two are actual facts, and they come straight from toyota) so congratulations, you win the internets. :rolleyes:

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One challenge is whether or not one should post an opinion, not backed by facts and data, in any arbitrary forum:
    I don't 'hang out' and seldom post in the NHW20 forums because I don't have one. But this is an opportunity to identify one relevant exception:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...market-crash-parts-oem-parts.html#post1218702

The last warranties for out NHW11 Prius, the 8 year or 100,000 mile hybrid part expires for the last model year, 2003 prius in 2011. Other than safety recalls or 'good will' campaigns, we're on our own. With rare exception, salvage parts will be our inventory for the next decade as Toyota's inventory of NHW11 parts evaporates. But this is a real issue for NHW20 owners and in particular, those who still carry collision insurance.

I have no idea (and no commitment) to what Toyota does with their existing, NHW11 module and pack inventory. I suspect they will go to a recyclers soon to become NHW20 style modules. Personally, I think this is the best result. But what happens to ReInVolt if 'marking salvage parts' becomes law?

Bob Wilson

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, now I'm genuinely curious how these terms can have such nearly opposite meanings to us. I would have called the first three facts, and the last two marketing claims by Toyota.

The first three are reported facts about particular packs in Bob's and oldnoah's possession, and would (so far) need wide confidence intervals around them if extended to NHW11 and ReInvolt packs in general, just because it would take more such facts to make the C.I.s narrower.

Marketing claims have kind of a shaky status as fact until somebody independent of the marketing department reports some results. Toyota's claim about better construction and sealing has a better standing as fact thanks to Bob's reports that they really do show a markedly lower incidence of dehydration symptoms in the field--despite the small size of his sample.

Their claim about lower internal resistance is not directly confirmed by Bob's reported resistance measurements straight from the battery ECU, which seemed about the same. That's not explained yet, and because the modules are used, it could still be true that their resistance is lower when new. It could be that the modules themselves can deteriorate, or it could be that ReInvolt's way of attaching the busbars leads to higher connection resistance (the measurement inputs used by the ECU to calculate module resistance are made at the busbars and therefore include connection resistance). The explanation becomes an interesting question for further research, for which we can thank the person who took the time to report measurements.

So, even small-scale, low-budget measurements can have a useful role to play in generating further lines of inquiry from which we can learn things, and in roughly sanity-checking claims by others, be they ReInvolt or Toyota (as in, do the measurements I can get myself come out anywhere in, or completely out of, the ballpark of what's been claimed.)

More precise and confident conclusions can come from larger-scale and higher-budget measurements, sure. But hey, not everybody's got a grant.

-Chap

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This has me scratching my head too. The traditional approach to internal resistance measurement is to use a DC blocking capacitor and AC signal. But this seems unlikely given the recent postings on how the battery controller measures per module-pair voltage:
    Yahoo! Groups
    However, there is another approach loosely described:
    Internal battery resistance
    [​IMG]

You'll notice in my pre-swap measurements of the NHW11 pack included shifting from "N" to "R" while parked:
    [​IMG]

I haven't done a similar, variable load test on the ReInVolt battery, yet. I want to understand how to use two rates of discharge to calculate the internal resistance. I also want to give the battery ECU a chance to recalculate the internal resistance. It is possible that the battery ECU has to recalculate the internal resistance over some operational period. If so, it is likely that the values I initially measured will change and approach new values for the ReInVolt pack. Fortunately, I will have both packs and time to figure out an approach.

Here is a simplified version of measuring the internal resistance:
    Rapid-testing of batteries
    The problem with this example is it doesn't include the dV/dt of discharge that occurs with NiMH batteries. But I may be able to 'take out' the dV/dt to reproduce the step function.

Bob Wilson

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bob,

When you install a ReInVolt pack, do you move your old battery ECU over as with a Toyota replacement, or does ReInVolt ship an ECU in the pack and get your old one back as a core?

-Chap

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Unlike the Toyota pack, it is a 'turn key' system. The whole pack as one assembly is swapped.

It is my understanding that Taylor Automotive is no longer offering NHW11, rebuilt packs. Given the 'oldnoah' report and my own tests, this makes a lot of sense.

If I were to try to recycle the NHW11 modules, it would incorporate a mechanism to reduce the internal pressures. Their weak terminal seals can not stand up to high pressures at high temperatures. However, as a PHEV pack with my own battery controller, they may work.

Personally, I think the best destination for NHW11 modules is battery recycling at the Panasonic plant. Let them become new NHW20/ZVW30 modules. But I don't have a lot of confidence that would be the case for USA modules.

Bob Wilson

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Using a math trick, I normalized or 'flat lined' the voltages of the NHW11 pack to calculate the pack resistance:
    Rapid-testing of batteries

• dV = 318.2 - 316.8 = 1.4 V
    • dI = 3.2 - 1.3 = 1.9 A
    • Rnhw11 = 1.4 V / 1.9 A = .74 ohms
    I have to gather similar data for the ReInVolt pack.

If we average this out over the 19 module-pairs, we get:

• .74 / 19 = 0.039 ohms/pair
    This is significantly higher than the battery ECU reported values, ~0.021-0.024 ohms/pair.

Bob Wilson

8. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow .74 ohms! That means when your car is pulling 100A from the battery, say under hard acceleration, that 7.4kW worth of heat is being left in the pack. That's non-trivial! That also means there is a 74 volt drop across the pack at that time.

9. jk450

jk450 New Member

Where, if I may ask, do you get this stuff? At the end of the decade, the earliest US-spec Prius will be around twenty years old. Parts are readily available for twenty-year-old Toyotas today.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or you could sum the battery ECU reported resistances:

• 0.432 ohms
    In tabular form, using (I**2)R:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    0 R Amps (I) W
    1 0.432 100 4 320 W
    2 0.740 100 7 400 W
    I was able to observe 20,000 W being pulled from the ReInVolt pack so the control electronics can handle it.

The assumption is internal battery resistance is constant and not a function of current. The NHW11 pack internal resistance was in the 1.3-3.2 A range. But somehow, I doubt if internal NiMH resistance goes down at higher current drains. <grins>

Bob Wilson

11. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apologies for the OT discourse...

FWIR automakers are only *required* to make spares available for 10 years, but since parts sales are high-profit, many do continue after this. I would not be surprised to see the parts cost rise though, as single-source parts vendors can charge whatever they want.

Case in point the $300 Toyota headlight bulb fiasco. Toyota Stealers were wanting close to a grand to install 2 new headlights in a Gen II with HID! This apparently caught the attention of some TV news programs and Toyota popped up with an apology campaign. Now they've reduced the MSRP to "only" $150 per bulb which is still robbery. Luckily Toyota is simply a reseller and not the only source so there is plenty of competition. You can easily find compatible bulbs for 90% less, and the exact same name brand for 50% less than what Toyota is asking.

Stealers make a lot of $ on parts and service, and the markup is insane! I almost wish Toyota would buy up all the dealers or at least mandate price limits. After all it's their reputation that gets tarnished from this aggressive parts pricing, not the Dealers.

So now we are approaching ten years for the Gen I and they aren't required to make replacement MG stators or battery packs. They will likely stock up a warehouse somewhere with NHW-11 parts and cease production and raise prices. I've seen NOS parts for some cars have 1000% markup. Greed and insanity! The only thing holding this in check is the salvage market, and if demand is high enough people figure out how to make or remanufacture the parts.

For instance any competent motor shop should be able to rewind a MG stator. When the cost of a new replacement approaches the labor cost of paying someone to manually rewind one, that's what will start happening.

12. jk450

jk450 New Member

As do many Tier 1 and aftermarket vendors. Competition helps keep parts prices down.

Many of the most commonly replaced parts are, and will continue to be, available from multiple sources.

Actually, your link refers to dealer parts prices on vehicles that are less than ten years old, not more.

Not all dealers are evil ogres with blood dripping from their fangs. What do you think average markup is on a dealer part? What does it cost to keep the dealership's doors open? Until we know the answers to such questions, we really can't guess how appropriate their markup is.

And if you don't like your dealer, go to another dealer. Prices vary.

That wouldn't be very efficient. Warehouses cost money to operate.

And if prices rise, it will likely be because production runs are small.

Can you name a Gen 1 part with 1000% markup?

The salvage market is but a fraction of the used part market.

Actually, the cost of a new replacement winding is already lower than the cost to rewind one. In fact, it's already about half of what it was when the Gen I was a new car.

1 person likes this.
  13. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All valid points. Of course I am speculating about the future, based on my experience with other cars over time. I am not quoting facts other than the HID bulb example. But regardless it seems to me that Toyota's reputation is being damaged when a loyal customer goes into a dealer for a headlight replacement and is quoted almost a thousand dollars!

If I wasn't an Engineer and capable of my own car maintenance, I would be hesitant to invest in another Toyota if I received the bills I've seen reported here for common repairs! I truly feel sorry for those people out there without the knowledge to protect themselves from these practices.

Regardless of motivation and overhead, I will likely not be convinced there is not greed involved somewhere when a dealer quotes crazy prices for simple repairs. I'm also constantly amazed at the negligence demonstrated by service departments mis-diagnosing an otherwise simple problem and turning it into a multi-thousand dollar surprise for the unsuspecting owner. This to me is unacceptable!

By the way, are you a Dealer owner or employee? =)

14. jk450

jk450 New Member

Yes, and that's a constant challenge. Although a dealership is an independent business, over which the automaker can only exert so much control, the reputation of the automaker will always rest, in part, on the dealership's perceived fairness and competence.

No. However, I have purchased parts from dealerships.

1 person likes this.
  15. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks jk450, sorry for the off-topic discourse everyone else. Back to the original topic!

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your profile suggests EV activities. Do you have any experience measuring traction battery internal resistance?

FYI, this is the adjusted chart:
    [​IMG]

The math trick is to use the negative signed, value of the slope from the "blue line" to calculate an adjusted 'constant' voltage for the pack, the "green line." Because there were two different rates of discharge, I needed two different slopes based upon the current to replicate the Cadex methodology. In effect, I took out the dV/dt @I(discharge) so only the internal resistance remained.

Bob Wilson

17. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    .432 sounds more reasonable to me, but I have no basis for that. It seems to me if there was indeed 7.4kw of heat being made, you'd have a really hot pack in no time!

In the NHW-20 the boost converter doesn't like to sustain much over 20kw, but obviously the inverter IPM's (IGBT's) can handle 50kw (MG2). Since NHW-11 doesn't have a boost converter, I would imagine the limit is much higher.

I would think that internal resistance is a function of SOC and temperature, but not necessarily (at least not directly) current. Of course current will cause heat, which will change things. The internal resistance is partly due to interconnects, the anode/cathode themselves, and the electrolyte. The first one is clearly a constant, but the electrochemical reactions in the electrodes and electrolyte aren't. As the SOC drops there are less charge carriers, so resistance goes up. Generally temperature increases the electron's motility, so I would expect a temperature rise to reduce the resistance, but there may be other factors that limit this.

18. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I can't offer anything more than you already have. Typically they use instrumentation using high-frequency AC pulses to determine this, but I'm sure Denso does it just by watching instantaneous voltage drop in each block for a given current. Actually, they probably watch recovery when current goes to zero for a more accurate calc. There might also be some math applied to offset the effect of SOC on this calculation, but I doubt it.

Here's an interesting read. (46k PDF)

1 person likes this.
  19. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's diagnostic tool has a capability to report the internal resistance values.
    We usually see approx 0.02 ohms/pair on the Gen2 battery.

Ken@Japan

2 people like this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did find an earlier reference to field measurement of traction battery resistance:

Measuring the Battery Internal Resistance

[​IMG]

My recorded data has voltage and current for both the NHW11 and ReInVolt pack. This provides a second method, more statistically based, for reading out pack resistance:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The trendline slope is the resistance:
    • 0.5456 ohms - NHW11 pack
    • 0.4952 ohms - ReInVolt pack
    Now the one thing I don't care for are the effect outliers have on the data. Also, my eyes see different slopes depending upon the voltage, especially for the NHW11 pack. With a little more time, I would classify the amps into buckets and trim the upper and lower voltages. This would provide a series of points and more accurate set of slopes as a function of pack pack voltage.

Regardless, I still want to try the Cadex, single step discharge method for the ReInVolt pack. But right now, it is a cold and rainy night . . . later this week will be better.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.