1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Related? Odor, Warning Lights, Cold Start Struggle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WalkTalk, May 12, 2017.

1. WalkTalk

WalkTalk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm the third owner of this car, and have only had it a few months. I know the previous two owners. They cared for the vehicle meticulously.

Not long after I got the car, I went through what turned out to be a broken automatic carwash. Something came up from the carwash floor as I was driving forward and dinged my lower oil pan, as well as the strainer (looks like a tiny oil pan with a filter inside). Apparently, the dent pushed up the filter high enough to impede air flow, which caused acceleration to feel strained. I got it all replaced, plus had an oil change.

Acceleration is better overall now, but when I first start driving in the morning, acceleration feels strained until I reach ~35MPH. It feels like there's a minor vibration/low sound that accompanies this.

Even after the repairs, all my warning lights, and sometimes my turn signals, will start to glow, never reaching full brightness, and then fade off again. This doesn't always coincide with the acceleration issue.

About a week ago, after the car had been parked for ~4 hours, I started to drive, felt the strained acceleration, and slowed, but at that moment, the smell of burning rubber or wires filled the interior. I pulled over. My AC was on, and pulling air from the outside. After inspecting the car, I concluded that the odor came from a pickup truck that had been driving in front of me.

Then, 2 days ago, I smelled something burning for just a couple of seconds. (I have a very keen sense of smell.) By then, I'd already set the AC to recirculate air. I was unable to find anything obviously wrong.

Any insights you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on her?
    how is the 12 volt health?
    maybe the flickering lights (glowing?) are from a faulty rheostat. try locking it in the full on position.

WalkTalk likes this.
  3. WalkTalk

WalkTalk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for your reply. My apologies for the delay in responding. The car has a bit over 21,000 miles on it (really!). The warning lights are definitely not flickering, but rather slowly start to come on and then slowly turn back off before reaching full brightness. They often do this repeatedly.

I had to look up how to check on the other things you asked about. However, I haven't yet had time to work through the various instructions to get you some answers. I'll post back once I do. Thanks again! :)

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the "warning lights" include the check engine light, there's probably a trouble code stored. If you don't have a scanner, try a local auto parts store first for free, but that may be inconclusive. You may need to get Toyota to scan it, or purchase a Prius-compatible scanner (Mini VCI or Android Torque app).

I don't quite understand what got damaged, but if it's repaired that's moot. It sounds like there may be further undiagnosed damage to the wiring harness.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you're in Tampa, I'd really suggest you take it to Todd (@TampaPrius.com) over at Tampa Hybrids (Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc.) if you're stumped. I guarantee he will be honest with what's wrong and I don't know anyone who knows Prius better. I've bought four Prii from him so far.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. WalkTalk

WalkTalk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    @bisco : The dash light/warning light dial is all the way up. Running the full 12v battery check from the PriusDIY tutorial shows it to be in the low normal range.

@andrewclaus : You read my mind. I've located a friend with a code scanner, but I don't want to bug him unless the problems rear their ugly head again.

To all: The car apparently knew that I was writing about it, and has behaved perfectly ever since. ;)

@jerrymildred : Tampa Hybrid is where the previous owners took the car for service, so they'll definitely be my first choice if the car starts misbehaving again. Good call!

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I've learned A LOT about my new-to-me car by following up on all your suggestions. :)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

jerrymildred likes this.