1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

relationship between MAF, Short FT and misfires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Oct 31, 2017.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using Mini VCI to try and zero in on minor misfire across all cylinders. Seems that misfires rarely occur while moving and more likely to happen when stopping at a light. No codes are thrown but i see the misfires occurring in real time on my laptop.

Tonight I tried to limit the variables by sitting parked with car on. In order to cause ICE to turn on while parked I had to get SOC out of green area and into blue. I turned heat up, high beams on , CD on, and had laptop plug into 75 watt inverter in aux outlet with laptop plugged in. As everyone experiences, this brought battery SOC meter down into the mid blue line area and the ICE kicked in. The load I was imposing was sufficient to hold the ICE on while I recorded MAF, misfires, and Short Term Fuel Trim (short FT) variables.

There did not seem to be any issues with misfires while the Short FT was around 1.5 % or higher. At that level the MAF was between 4.0 and 4.5. Engine speed was between 1250-1275. The car was Parked whole time. Misfires seem to be likely when the Short FT fell to .7% and MAF fell from down to 2.6 area after hovering in the 4.0 area. Misfires seemed to pick up when the Short FT occassionally fell to 0%. Engine speed maintained itself at 1250-1275 the whole time while ICE attempted to raise the SOC back to green level.

Seemed odd that with engine staying almost fixed in the 1250 range the whole time that the Short FT and MAF were bouncing around. The car was warmed up, there was no wind. Outside temp was about 48 degrees. Spark plugs are about a month old.

Does this sound like I need to clean MAF and throttle body or should I be looking at some other cause. I'd rather not mess with MAF as I've seen many stories of it creating more problems after cleaning it but I'm thinking that and throttle body and MAF cleaning is where I should start since misfires are only occurring when car is transitioning between ICE and MG1/MG2 or when idling. I guess this scenario has similarities to rough idle condition ?

If anyone would like to help and wants to see the recording I can put it up on youtube and provide a link.

As always, I appreciate your comments and help. This forum is the greatest resource anyone could hope for. I actually found an old thread that helped me figure out what was going on with my driver's side windows tonight. The express down wasn't working and the 'Auto' light on the control was blinking. I believe it was an old post from Patrick that saved the day for me. (window half down. raise it up and hold the window switch in up position for several seconds). Go figure there'd be any problem with that and had such an easy fix.

#1 sas0611, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two