1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Religion

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Apr 18, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 29 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]278868[/snapback]</div>

Thats why we are in the mess we are in.. they have made all kind of "claims" based on supposed facts that were in reality just conjecture based on other facts, when in reality were totally off the map of being right.

I guess they are the experts and should know best if its easy to make unfounded claims!

They do that in medicine alot!...... its not about whether I can prove my claim, whats more important is that you can't "disprove it!".
    If they can claim something totally earthshattering, it brings attention, fame and money!.... Kinda like the tabloids!.......

Based on that thinking, tons of claims to fame have projected people into writing books, news columns, interviews, and they make a mint off of the "idea" ..and by the time someone finally "disproves" it years later, they have already made thier millions.

Humm... I think of Dr. Spock and many others... seems medicine goes back and forth all the time with their facts and protocols. Does truth keep changing, or just mans perception of it?

2. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 30 2006, 06:31 AM) [snapback]279026[/snapback]</div>
    Windstrings, it's man's perception!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think some people are just mad that science more closely reflects Taoism than Christianity. :p

4. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Religion is the opiate of the people

Taken not as reference to stoned and nebulized minds (so please do not take offense as that is NOT my intend) , is there some truth in this? Religion can be intoxicating, but an overdoes can also poison the mind and shut out the ability to see within the context of your own spirituality.

To each their own with regards to religion, as I said before live an exemplary life that others might want to emulate. If they come over and ask how come you are so joyful and at ease ... share your secret. However, you cannot use your opinion and smack it around someones head like a wet towel, but rather you have to offer and hold it open like a comfortable coat, which others can slip on when they are ready.

I would also separate spirituality from religion, as one is the true expression of one's soul and the other a prescribed and agreed set of rules that give you a working map for life.

5. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 18 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]241641[/snapback]</div>
    No. I am a Buddhist.

Atheism is too close minded to me. They deny the existence of a higher power. That is their prerogative, but I find denying something that you cannot prove to be silly. Just as silly as worshiping something you can't prove.

If the Atheists are right, then I have lost nothing as I led my life in a manner in which my goal is to stop my own suffering, as well as the suffering of those around me.

If the Christians are right, and I go to a pit hell fire for eternity for not worshiping a God I have never seen or believing that some Jew from the desert supposedly walked on water and floated around is actually the son of God.. so be it. But.. I'm SURE all that fear-mongering in the Bible was added sometime later by people with an agenda. The teachings of Christ don't add up to a God that creates people and then makes them suffer for eternity for not kissing his nice person. The Bible is a great book, and I leave it at that.

I firmly believe in my heart that Buddhism is right for me. It might not be right for everyone, thats why I don't push it on people (unlike ..erm.. uhh.. some "Christians" around here).. I would be happy to teach what I know about this way of life, if one inquires.. but I shall not push, or demand, that others think like myself.

I was saying earlier how it is silly to me, to worship a deity whom I have no evidence of, and one might reply "Well you believe in reincarnation, but you can't prove that" .. That is a very valid response to my statement. I say, I do not worship reincarnation. I do not "worship" anything. The fundamental doctrine of my religion is to treat others with unlimited compassion and love. "What goes around comes around". If reincarnation is NOT real, then that is fine with me - as I have lived my life in a very positive manner and have hopefully helped those around me. I can live, or .. if there is no reincarnation, cease living, with that.

As a Buddhist, a human, I make mistakes. I drink sometimes. I cuss sometimes.. I even kill sometimes (for food, hunting, never for sport).. Sometimes, when people find that I am a Buddhist, it as if I suddenly am no longer allowed to not like someone, "be a jerk", be a passive weanie.. etc..
    I'm not a monk! Buddhists are regular people! I just wanted to get that out there.. ;)

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 14 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]405783[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, ok so I agreed with you in two posts now..

I'm actually looking into Taoism and Buddhism. Very interesting philosophies.

7. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Mar 14 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]405795[/snapback]</div>
    Like I told you before, I think we have more in common than you think.

ps - Buddhism FTW! ;)

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No. I am Preacher; a follower of Christ.

If the Atheists are right, then I have lost nothing as I led my life in a manner in which my goal is to stop the suffering of those around me.

I'm SURE all that fear-mongering in the Bible was added sometime later by people with an agenda. The teachings of Christ don't add up to a God that creates people and then makes them suffer for eternity for not kissing his nice person. The Bible is a great book, and I leave it at that.

I firmly believe in my heart that following Christ is right for me. It might not be right for everyone, that's why I don't push it on people (unlike ..erm.. uhh.. some "Christians" around here).. I would be happy to teach what I know about this way of life, if one inquires.. but I shall not push, or demand, that others think like myself.

I was saying earlier how it is silly to me, to worship a deity whom I have no evidence of, and one might reply "Well you believe there is a place called heaven, but you can't prove that" .. That is a very valid response to my statement. I say, I do not worship heaven. I do not "worship" anything. The fundamental doctrine of my faith is to treat others with unlimited compassion and love. "What goes around comes around". If heaven is NOT real, then that is fine with me - as I have lived my life in a very positive manner and have hopefully helped those around me. I can live, or .. if there is no heaven, cease living, with that.

As a Preacher, a follower of Christ, a human, I make mistakes. I drink sometimes. I cuss sometimes.. Sometimes, when people find that I am a Preacher, it as if I suddenly am no longer allowed to not like someone, "be a jerk", be a passive weenie.. etc..

I'm not a monk! Preachers are regular people! I just wanted to get that out there.. ;)

(borrowed and changed a bit from desynch...hope that is okay with that person)

9. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    lol, "a bit" .. I dig it tho, TJ. I've always liked your jive.

See, the thing is, most of the other "Christians" aren't as .. "Enlightened" as you.

As a matter of fact.. most of them actually feel obligated to inform me that I am a follower of the Devils lies and that I must convert or suffer.. It's kind of a bummer.

ps - After a strong Christian/Catholic education/upbringing, I would like to inform you that from I have heard from you, you are what I consider a true follower of Christ. I hope that you appreciate that. :)

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice addition TJ. :D

11. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 12:01 AM) [snapback]405805[/snapback]</div>
    I do indeed. Thanks. If I may...
    =========
    A man walked up to the Buddha. He asked, 'What does it take to achieve enlightenment? What do I need to do? Am I on the right path?'

The Buddha looked down at the ground. Taking a stick, he swung it at the man.

The man moved instinctively to his right, out of the way of the stick.
    'Why did you do that?', the man asked.

The Buddha replied, 'You moved; because you knew instinctively to move. You are therefore, enlightened.
    Therefore, continue to do what you are doing, for obviously you are on the right path.'

The man stood there. 'But what if I had not moved? What if you had hit me with the stick?'

The Buddha smiled, and said, 'Then obviously you are in need of being taught: When the stick comes at you, move. And if you need to be taught that, you are not enlightened, and by that, you are not on the right path.

For many, they will stand there, and be hit by the stick, since they have learned by the rod. '

=========================

I teach on this, for I have learned, that many Christians have learned by the rod (The Bible), and can not seem to learn to move when the stick comes towards them.
    They need to learn to move and learn that moving forward is not a bad thing.

Am I clear on this? Or have I confused some?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Mar 15 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]405807[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 15 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]405928[/snapback]</div>

I guess its according to what you consider "moving forward".. does that mean to embrace the word and the rod so you learn and don't have to repeat or to run from it?

It sounds like what you are saying is that you consider the bible something that only punishes and you avoid it and and dodge it and it appears unjust? Maybe you are not saying that....

I believe you stated that you have to ignore many parts of it as not pertenient or either wrong?

Based on what you shared in the past, this sounds like your catholic father "priest" that abused you and now this has formed your opinion of the bible perhaps. To take the truths you want from him and realize the rest is wrong and not out for your good but rather to trick you and put you in bondage as a means of defense to protect yourself from that abuse?

The bible is a love story.

Love often requires chastizement as any father who never chastizes his children doesn't love them and doesn't really care how they turn out. Children without discipline are considered bastards in the true sense of the word..... this is not inflammatory.. just a state of mishap.

If you grew up with no father or one that abused you, then this bad experience would form your opinion of what your heavenly Father is like as depicted in the bible must be like too.

Every scripture that says different than what you have learned to trust in is kept and the others simply tossed.

But if you have a father that kept you from harm from others as well as yourself by discipline, then you realize its love that hedges and puts up borders to hedge you in.

By the time we are adults.. anybody with any wisdom at all, realizes that "we" are our worse enemy.. not everyone else, nor the bible. "We" were our worst enemy when we were small and it has not changed.

The bible is a light and a sword for defense as well as offense.

I"m sorry so many cannot see that.

There has been allot of wounding in our world that has colored the eyes of those who try and now behold it.

Its always easier to accept a teaching or religion that only tells us how wonderful we are and how we are loved just the way we are regardless of our choices and decisions and that no harm will come to us.

Also one that gives us the control of the helm so we can feel secure.... we don't like free gifts.. but would rather work for our salavation to have a sense of "earning" it so its ours and no one can freely take it away.

We are living in a generation where the fathers have departed from the children "as depicted would be in the last days" and the byproducts of thier offspring is devestating.

There is much deception and evil masked as good and many fall for it because they have had no teachers.

They have figured out life on thier own and don't trust any authority or power that has anything to do with any form of "discipline" as they view that as a bad thing and not to be trusted.

Its always funny to see how young people start to raise thier kids and they say 'we are going to do it the right way" with no discipline!... Soon they find out if they don't discipline thier children, the children will train and discipline them!

Its human nature to do things our own way and despise anything that counters us from the tender age of around 2 when we learn to talk and say "no" as our favorite word.

13. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    windstrings, to me, TJ's story about the Buddha is teaching that you should do something out of love, compassion, and common sense - rather than through fear or being punished.

That's my interpretation, at least.

Thanks TJ!

14. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

The trouble with every faith is that it preaches that every other faith is wrong -- thus pitting man against man.
    It's about time man starting believing in man. The early religions had it right -- belief in the earth, the sun and nature. I believe it's time to get back to basics.

15. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbogie @ Mar 15 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]406271[/snapback]</div>
    Man believing in...man? Wouldn't that just sum up what atheists "believe"?

As far as believing in earth, sun and nature-yeah, I believe they exist. See them every day. No faith required there.

16. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Mar 14 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]405795[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Taoism is a philosophy - Buddhism is considered a religion. Arguments may ensue concerning the difference between a religion and a philosophy :lol:

But...I'm curious how one uses a gun to kill (even for food or self defense) and still considers themselves a Buddhist; my interpretation is that Buddhists do no harm and do not take life (which explains why the few I've met have been strict vegans).

I am drawn and relate to "The Way" and so if I had to label myself (without being restricted by poll options), I would probably call myself a Taoist, but I am not a strict adherent of it and therefore will rarely describe myself as such...

17. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]406200[/snapback]</div>
    Bingo! I hoped I had 'taught' it well enough to be understood.

That did not come from any book; it came from many years of study on Buddha and other philosophies.

I am not just a student of Christ. I am also a student of others. It helps me, I hope, to be more well rounded.

To engage rather then disengage another.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 15 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]406293[/snapback]</div>
    I guess it all depends on which path (earlier forms of each philosophy) you choose and how far you adopt to follow that path. Buddhism seemed a philosophy until it was used by some and turned more to a religion but one can utilize the central practices without using it as a religion I would think.

As for strict vegans. Here in the U.S. most vegans are ignoring the fact that a lot of animals die to get the grains, required by the vegan diet, to the dinner table. The oil used in agricultural processes destory ecosystems both local and "downstream". It is a sad fact that we cannot get around death to feed ourselves without taking EXTREME measures and even those can be traced back to some form of suffering or destruction. :(

19. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 14 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]405803[/snapback]</div>
    This is an excellent post!

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DelerPrius @ Mar 15 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]406289[/snapback]</div>
    I have faith that life will survive, despite our 'best efforts'. It takes a strong love to care for all of life, and to live our lives accordingly.