1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Religion

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Apr 18, 2006.

1. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 15 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]406293[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know ANY Vegan Buddhists. Being Vegan is not the middle path by any means. Surprising actually.. I don't know a single Vegan Buddhist.

Buddhists try not to do harm or take life, but, it is inevitable, Life Feeds on Life. It is a cycle.

Not all Buddhists are MONKS.. the MONKS are the ones that will not kill any other creature for any reason. I'm sure some regular Buddhists strive for this as well.. but not taken to the extreme that Monks or Vegans do. Actually, plenty of Monks eat meat. They just don't kill it. There are people that dedicate themselves to helping them Monks by doing the killing and preparation - so the Monks dont have to.

And in all honesty.. I don't really have anything good to say about Vegans. The ones I have met, they were just long haired hippies trying to make a statement or piss off their parents or something. The ones I have met, all of them, were sickly and pale - and appeared to be what one would consider a "Doper".
    I know not all of them are this way, generalizations are silly (like Buddhists dont kill), but geez.. the ones I have met are just.. .. Well, I'll just say they aren't my type of people.

2. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]406306[/snapback]</div>
    There is at least one very good thing about being a vegan. If they're on a plane, and it crashes into a remote mountain, they will be the last to be eaten. :lol:

3. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 15 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]406315[/snapback]</div>
    Who wants to eat meat slathered in patcholi oil, chocked full of illegal narcotics and tofu?

Besides.. with how skinny and sickly they are, going a couple hours without munching some mulch will kill em' from malnutrition. :lol:

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Kinda ironic that the meat that you obtain all your nutrients from are vegans. I would think you'd be a little more appreciative! If you opt for their diet, you'd just be converting plant foods to your required energy source yourself. What's wrong with cutting out the middle man?

5. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 15 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]406334[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure what the hell you're talking about.. I get my meat from Whole Foods. :lol:

... wait.... those are dirty hippy vegans working there! LOL... jk

6. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]406350[/snapback]</div>

You are Buddhist? You don't know any short haired Vegans? Strange ...
    Even though Buddha did not say so nor is it recorded in the Pali Tipitaka, the buddhist followers are split on this issue, pretty much right down the middle. You surely also know that all sentient beings share Dhatu and that killing and eating them is a form of cannibalism (at least to some)

7. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 15 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]406423[/snapback]</div>
    I met a short haired female vegan. Looked like she was a recovering cancer patient because of her buzz cut and how skinny/pale she was.

I eat meat. All of my Buddhist friends do as well. I have a Hindu friend that does not eat meat, and he has a huge belly from all of the vegetables! :lol: Too many carbs I guess.. Veggies and curry!

Sure we all share Dhatu.. Doesn't bother me. Mmm... tripas.

8. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]406462[/snapback]</div>
    You met "one" short haired Vegan? :lol:

Did you ever think that she may have been a cancer patient? Some do stay away from meat you know.

9. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 15 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]406293[/snapback]</div>
    I'm the same way about Buddhism. I study it and try to live it on a day to day basis, but I don't consider myself a Buddhist because I'm just not there yet.

And I really, really like Sam Adams. Cherry Wheat, Summer Ale, and Black Lager, to be specific. I only have one every once in a while, but it sure is a treat I'm not yet willing to give up!

10. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 15 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]406471[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I'm sure she wasn't a cancer patient, she just looked like one.

Indeed some do stay away from meat, that's nice and all - but not for me.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 15 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]406200[/snapback]</div>
    Those are all noble attibutes... but is it a copy cat or the real?

We have to always ask ourselves 'what is the source and besides ourselves alone,... who is the higher power that we are pleasing?

Why does it make a difference?... without knowing the source of the morals, there are no morals at all...all we have are mans laws to please to keep out of jail. And as long as the cop doesn't see us... hey its ok right?
    Quite different than dealing with eyeballs that can see inside your heart and everyplace you go and know your pains, fears, sorrows and joys.

Serving the first god, you can still be very alone, serving the second.... you are never alone and can have an eternal friend.

I know many will instantly think of the funny farm and think that its all imagined and thats totally understandable as being a mental disorder to those who can't go there.
    There are allot of people in mental institutions that are tormented.
    And there are allot who are not that are also tormented.

Is it a facod? Only if you don't have his power to make it real.
    The Holy Spirit is what makes experiencing God tangible and the power thereof.

What are morals anyway?.. is it rules we make up ourselves?...
    Morals are laws based on right and wrong... the influence of a higher power.... even before the 10 commandments.. people had morals that were written on the hearts of those that had a concious.

I see mans laws as rules we make up for the best good of the whole based on our understanding to meet a certain need or problem.
    Every state has them, every country, every business and every municipality.

But morals are universal to all.. all times, all men, for all places.
    They are so true to heart... another "god" cannot really change them but only copy them or they will be recognized as a fraud from the true.

Morals are "higher" laws that should fullfill the lower laws underneath.
    Thats why Jesus said Love fullfills the whole law, but he said first above that is the love they lord they God with all your heart and soul.

If you put loving men before God, you don't love man at all, but seek self preservation.
    But when priorities are right..loving man is the same as loving God because you love man "as unto God".
    I'm talking about Love here... not lust.

I know that sounds like a contradiction, but its not.

Most of the corrupt religions "I mean really corrupt" have no heart at all for the religion they say they stand for, but have other motives to serve themselves without regard for those who serve that religion, nor the God that supposedly endorses it. They feed off of mans need to serve a cause "thats God given at birth" and to defend what they believe to be right based on fullfilling the agenda of the god they think they serve.
    Pastors and leaders of such religions will recieve a much harsher judgement.

Once upon a time, clergy held the bible and used it as a political tool for self gain and wouldn't even release the real words to the public as they couldn't read it even if they did.
    Even today.. so many people prefer to sit in a comfy chair and let some preacher spoon feed them everything they are supposed to know to sustain thier spiritual life.

The more modern the language, it seems we "dummy down" and lose depth of meaning with every translation.
    Greek for instance has 7 different words for the word called "love". English is lame at trying to duplicate those varying meanings.

Hence the reason for so much deception. I've seem some pretty wacky doctrine that people take hook line and sinker without any biblical grounding... I"ve seen preachers get so far out of line that the church finally revolked thier license and they moved the "closed church" to their house preaching such deception that the church they continued in thier home was furnished with the proceeds of giving that was for household items like computers, tv's etc... finally the Feds moved in and took them out as they were totally illegal and ignoring all the tax codes etc... anyway.. my point is people will follow any shepherd that tells them what they want to hear and knows how to tickle thier funny bone and make them feel good.

Its quite dangerous following any religion without having a relationship with the founder of that religion.
    That prerequisite alone is impossible with many religions as thier founder is now dead.

Some say Jesus is dead, but he simply went away so he could come back in the form of the Holy Spirit to testifys of him.

We all have the same spirit which makes it easier to detect false prophets etc as they won't bear witness with other folks of simliar faith.
    Thats why God wants every thing to be confirmed by two or three witnesses to avoid deception.

If Jesus was walking in the flesh today, we would have to gather in huge crowds to hear his teachings or use TV cameras etc and none of us could have a personal relationship with him.
    But because he went away, he can now be everywhere at once in his gloried form as God and through his spirit, we can all have him dwelling within us all the time, teaching us all the time and loving us all the time.

Isn't it the pits having loving feelings for someone and you never feel back?
    Worshiping a dead person or an idol is all one sided?

A much closer relationship can happen through the Holy Spirit than trying to grapple with a man of flesh with those limitations.

12. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    didn't Jesus also say to look within yourself to find him/god? I try really hard to look within myself before I lay claim to owning the truth and thus the right to correct others. That is really all one can do, is it not?

13. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 15 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]406476[/snapback]</div>
    But no matter where you go, you're there... :D

So. You like your Adams. Be careful. Buddha's got quite the beer belly... :lol:

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 15 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]406471[/snapback]</div>
    Here's one short-haired vegan (Dennis Kucinich):

[​IMG]

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 15 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]406577[/snapback]</div>
    No He doesn't say that to the best of my recollection.

Wildkow

16. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 15 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]406303[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 15 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]406577[/snapback]</div>
    He did say that once upon a time he dwelt in temples made with hands and now he dwells in our hearts, but he is not limited to that space.. thats just his habitation.
    Also, one of the five fold ministries for edification to the saints is a "teacher", another is the prophetic which involves correction also, as well as the apostle.
    (Eph 4:11 KJV) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
    (Eph 4:12 KJV) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Instruction is also to be done with a keen awareness that we are all mortal and subject to error and that many times people are simple opposing themselves whereas other times they are driven by the wrong spirit to lash out and tear in pieces those that represent the Kingdom.

(2 Tim 2:25 NKJV) in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,
    (2 Tim 2:26 NKJV) and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

(2 Tim 2:25 KJV) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    (2 Tim 2:26 KJV) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

(Heb 13:17 NKJV) Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

In several conversations Jesus had "as well as the deciples" the audience went from being mild and reasonable to totally enraged and wanted to kill them.

He also said we are to rule over those less mature as a leader rather than a lord.

18. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Mar 16 2007, 06:54 AM) [snapback]406687[/snapback]</div>

So now we just need to agree on what means "less mature" and what it means to be "a leader" rather then a "lord".

Thanks for the quotations!

19. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Mar 15 2007, 11:21 PM) [snapback]406568[/snapback]</div>
    Buddhism was around before Christianity.. So who is the copy cat?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 15 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]406589[/snapback]</div>
    Thats not the Buddha.. thats a fat monk. :)

20. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "Fat Monk" another great beer... give it up you are caught! :D