1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Religious affiliations of Prius owners

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by apriusfan, Oct 1, 2010.

?

What is your religious affiliation?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2010.
  1. Agnostic

16.7%
  2. Atheist

33.3%
  3. Baha'i-ism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buddhism

1.1%
  5. Christianity

34.4%
  6. Hinduism

1.1%
  7. Islam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Judaism

5.6%
  9. Paganism

2.2%
  10. Other Not Stated Above (Please post what Other is)

5.6%
  1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Then who created the creator of the universe? And who created that creator?

Something happened for the universe to be what it is today. Whether it was created or has always been, no one knows all the details yet. And we may never know. However, I doubt it has to do with anything conscious or complicated(like how the brain works). That's not something I believe, it's just my default understanding of it since there's no evidence to suggest otherwise. To believe some complicated consious being created it is akin to believing bible stuff and has no evidential basis in reality and is nothing more than an unsubstantiated belief.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, Stev0, there's really no such thing as an atheist? Because if there were, they would exist, and that would make them an agnostic? I haven't heard that one before. ;)

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get out! Now that's cool.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From dictionary.com: Atheist: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

I think you may be coming to incorrect conclusions, based upon an incorrect definition of the term.

I also find it a bit surprising that demonstrating to atheists that they're really agnostic is one of your favorite pastimes.

dictionary.com: Pastime: A pleasant means of amusement; recreation.

It seems this question is of a bit more serious nature than that.

5. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That seems to be a stretch to lump the big bang theory in with a certain faith of god. I personally feel that the big bang is an interesting scientific theory about how our universe was first started. Even though it's hard to pinpoint a certain timeline, it's at least scientific and not idealogical (IE no scientist would say it would prove/disprove evidence of a "master creator"). To me, one of the most basic conflicts with faith (no matter what religion) is whether you believe "god" is omnipotent. Having a belief about what could have caused our big bang is still far removed from knowing whether there really is a god. I personally feel that mankind will always struggle with this paradox....the meaning of "faith" will always be a constant during our existance.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If one defines "God" with the narrow definition of "All-knowing omnipotent being who runs the Universe", then yeah, I'd be an Atheist.

However, since it's absurd to believe in such a being, I use the definition "Creator of the Universe". So far, with all the competing theories, the Big Bang has the most evidence (with the Flying Spaghetti Monster coming in a close second). And, of course, THAT begs the question: what created the Big Bang in the first place?

So yeah, still Agnostic.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no first place. There is no beginning. Time seems linear only to those who dwell within it.

That cliche, "we see the world not as it is, but as we are" is true.

1 person likes this.
  8. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And there in lies how there can be a coexistence of scientific logic and faith. I don't think mankind will live to be able to know the existance of what your god is (which appears to be "what really did create the big bang"). For all we know, our big bang was a start of a marble game with some really big beings relative to ourselves. Maybe there are universes within universes. I have no way of knowing, so I assume that there was a "god" that created what we experience. Whether that god provides any persuasion or coercion is pertinent to current theologies (and I think is across the board with Christian sects, Muslim sects, and Jewish sects). Just look at current debates in the US about whether some of our diest forefathers should be lumped into "our Christian forefathers". Not being certain if there is a god vs not having any sort of faith in a god seems to be the accepted definition of agnostic vs athiest.

Perhaps a real world example of the difference between agnostic vs athiest is if you would be offended by using the words "under god" in a pledge? To me, I have no problems...because I see god as just being whatever belief in our creation. I assume some athiests do feel offended by it since they believe the universe is too complex to be able to fathom even acknowledging a "god".

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds about right. At least, it seems a reasonable working definition.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, that's making more sense to me. So, basically you're holding out until we know why the bang was big?

11. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As this discussion has evolved into creation v. something else, take a look at "The Fingerprint of God" by Dr. Hugh Ross an astronomer. His research into origins is fascinating and literally hangs on the well-behaved balance of just two atoms! This is a must read for athesiets, Christians and everyone else interested in this topic!

My Prius was created. How about yours?

Happy Motoring,

Tom

12. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, the universe came from something, or somewhere. We just do not know what or how. This concept requires zero belief in any god.

To deny the presence of a "creator" as is popularized in many religions is simply common sense. To deny the possibility that some event began the universe which may or may not have had something to do with other forms of life is ignorant, in my opinion. Such a concept requires absolutely zero belief in any god and simply accepts the fact that we really do not have a clue as to how the universe began just as we are still unable to cure the common cold.

13. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ah, so you admit you're an Agnostic. Good.

14. sunvia

sunvia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Christian

if EVERY person understood "eternity" the world would be a lot different ....

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    aliens.;)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine evolved from a lower machine form, 'the wheel':rolleyes:

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Even back then hybrid vehicles were all the rage. The cross between the horse and donkey was big advance.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No... we must go back even further to the primordial ooze where gears were formed.:rolleyes:

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and cogswell's cogs!;)

20. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why does the universe have to come from "something or somewhere"?

The universe IS. It may change, grow, shrink, morph -- but it is.

Insisting that there has to be some sort of "before" is taking linear time beyond its function - which is to keep everything from happening all at once. We are within time, so it is hard to comprehend not being within time -- but I don't believe the universe is within time. Time is part of the universe - not the other way around.

1 person likes this.