1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

religulous

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SureValla, Oct 5, 2008.

1. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amazing movie, go see this in your prius.

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    this thread would do better in the political threads, that said, it is very funny, i now understand religion much better, and realize that i'm from another planet...ufa gafa dika soo soo badanga swelta poo poo kaka

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for posting this, SureValla. I'm going to go and see it.

And FWIW, I'd say that religion does belong in FHOP. The political forum is strictly for politics. Some folks would probably like to banish religion to its own forum, or shove it into politics, but until Danny says otherwise, we get to talk about religion here.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In attempting to keep a separation between church and state, I'm thinking that FHoP is the better home for this thread.

5. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wait til u see the movie

6. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yea a major theme in the movie is we need more separation of church and state so id really prefer to keep it out of the politics arena

and lefat1 the scary part about this is that you are not from another planet...

7. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "Religulous" ... from the folks who brought you "nukular" ...

8. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i'm not?...thank God...ufa gafa dika soo soo badanga swelta poo poo kaka

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't wait to see this, it has not been since The Life Of Brian that I had a good dose of religious instruction via film.

10. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 :)

... Brad

11. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is from Gagdad Bob (Robert Godwin and his blog OneCosmos)

Anyway. In honor of Bill Maher's new film, I'm republishing this old rant from two years ago.

I am not surprised that militant atheists have become just another angry victim group, because that is what they have always been, starting with Grandma O'Harebrain. Please bear in mind that I am specifically referring to the easily offended activist kind of atheist who wishes to aggressively rewrite history and efface the Judeo-Christian heritage of this country, not to the person who is really and truly just indifferent to God. I have no quarrel with the latter kind of atheist, nor should they with me. While our respective philosophies are no doubt bizarre to one another, I am fully cognizant of the fact that it takes all kinds to make a world, and that a good atheist will contribute much more to the world than a bad theist, so long as the atheist is in a culture that embodies theistic values. It’s a non-issue to me that there are good and decent atheists.

Nor do I have any problem whatsoever with agnostics. While I regard militant, or “positive” atheism as the commonest form of philosophical stupidity (i.e., the affirmation that God definitely does not exist, as opposed to mere disbelief in God), I would never say that of agnosticism. For one thing, in the absence of transrational and suprasensory sources of information, the mechanical application of profane reason more or less compels agnosticism. There is no way to exit the closed circle of logic with more logic, especially if your premises are all wrong.

There are several ways to end up being what I call an obligatory atheist. Like every other human capacity -- from math to music to hitting a baseball -- the ability to intuit the divine runs along a continuum. Frankly, there are a few people for whom the realm of the sacred really does seem to be a closed book, but I actually focus a lot of my writing on trying to give these good folks a hand up, a way to "get" religion. I would guess that a larger percentage of atheists have been traumatized or repulsed by a dysfunctional version of religion they were exposed to as a child. They are the ones who naturally get more angry, obnoxious and militant. Or, sometimes they are just bitter about other things, and channel their bitterness through anti-religious sentiments.

Another large segment of the atheist population consists of the “not smart enough” who are nevertheless extremely proud of their intellect. This in itself is a contradiction, for they have great faith in the intellect’s ability to know reality, and yet, place an arbitrary limit on what the intellect may know. The placement of this limit is not a result of logic or reason. It is actually more of a religious inclination, for it is an absolute statement about what the human mind may or may not know. And once you are in the realm of the absolute, you are reflecting one of the two irreducible modalities (along with the infinite) of the Divine.

I do not know the first thing about wine. And yet, I know that I do not know, and I also know full well that there are enologists who do know what I don’t. In fact, I am one hundred percent certain both of my ignorance and of their expertise in this area. But since I am ignorant, how do I know this? Among other reasons, I know it because it would be absurd to deny the testimony of thousands of enologists who have trained themselves to make subtle discriminations in the realm of wine. If I were to object and tell them that they are fooling themselves and that there is no empirical proof that one wine is any better than another, they would properly regard me as a gustatory moron.

While numbers obviously aren’t everything (except for the materialist), needless to say, the numbers are on my side, in that billions of human beings have personally experienced the Divine, whereas atheism is an absurdity that makes no sense to all but a few cranks and misfits. More importantly, there are any number spiritual geniuses who have left maps of the domain of spirit that are every bit as subtle and detailed as the maps of science. I have independently verified these maps, so I know to my satisfaction that the territory they describe is ontologically real.

One atheist yesterday took me to task for “trashing” atheism because I hadn’t personally experienced it, but that is categorically false. There was a time that I was an atheist -- a much more effective one, I might add, than our scientistic jester -- but I eventually found its philosophical foundation to be utterly lacking. When I wrote yesterday that positive atheism was naively self-contradictory at every turn, I meant that literally, not as an insult. Most bad metaphysics can be dismissed with a single insurmountable sentence or two, and atheism is no exception. To declare that it is absolutely true that only relative truth exists is nonsensical. But to declare that absolute truth exists is to make a statement so pregnant with metaphysical implications that it alone can lead one out of the abyss of atheism.

One commenter proclaimed yesterday that “I am an Atheist because the universe makes perfect sense to me without putting God in the equation. You say God is easily provable. That is horse manure. There is absolutely no evidence God exists. God is nothing but a manmade idea in order to give one hope for meaning and even everlasting life.”

He dismisses all religion as an “invisible myth that you cling on to. In fact, I now have as much justification that there is an invisible man living under my bed, as there is a God. In other words, I have no reason to believe in either, as no evidence exists that either God or the invisible man under my bed exists.”

How does one respond to such invincible ignorance? “There is no evidence that God exists.” Of course there is evidence. It's just that he is either unfamiliar with the evidence, incapable of understanding the arguments (for no demonstration can convince everyone, least of all the spiritually inadequate), or has chosen to reject or ignore it, which he is naturally free to do. As for the statement that religious belief is an “invisible myth,” the reverse is true: it is only possible to cling to the invisible myth of atheistic materialism in a hermetically sealed environment of fellow fervent believers who are similarly innocent of any direct encounter with transcendent reality. They are free to insist that “all wines are identical,” just as I am free to dismiss them as possessing barbarous palates.

Again, atheism is a purely substitious postmodern mythology. It has nothing to do with an intellectually honest assessment of the evidence, but is simply an assumption dressed up as a conclusion. On the other hand, my theistic belief is based, among other things, on personal experience that I would no more doubt than I would doubt the fact that my eyes see or that I love my child.

One of the reasons I wrote my book is to assist people whose very intelligence may ironically -- ironic because intelligence is a reflection of the Divine Mind-- pose a barrier to religiosity. As a result of mindless repetition, secularists have made significant inroads to the undermining of rational religious belief, which will have catastrophic consequences for the future evolution of mankind, which we can already see with regard to spiritually exhausted old Europe. For a person who is alienated from his own soul and intellect is like a disabled person with missing limbs, except that he doesn’t know it. Better yet, he is like a leper, in the sense that lepers suffer from nerve damage that causes them to be unaware of when they are injuring themselves. To the extent that one is unaware of one’s soul, one will engage in more or less spiritually self-injurious behavior. (No different, really, than the neurotic patient who suffers because he is ignorant of his unconscious motivations.)

As Schuon has noted, the effectiveness of one’s “thinking about God” -- that is, thinking metaphysically -- always depends upon two factors, neither of which falls strictly within the realm of rationalism. First, there is the depth, breadth and profundity of the intelligence involved. Obviously there are plenty of "smart" mediocrities walking around. College campuses abound with them. But they are hardly profound, deep, or wise thinkers. For example, there are presumably thousands of musicologists with Ph.D.s, but who would pretend that their words are remotely as deep or profound as one of Beethoven’s late string quartets? There are many books on poetry, but only one Shakespeare.

The second thing that limits the mere rationalist is an arbitrary restriction on what is taken as evidence. The rationalist limits himself to empirical phenomena (or something reducible to it). But this limitation is not something that can be justified by reason. Rather, it is a pre-logical, a priori assumption.

The religious metaphysician is not hindered in this manner. He does not arbitrarily stop at the external senses, but considers other sources of information, most notably, divine revelation, the testimony of the saints and sages, one’s own personal experience, and the existence of the human subject, or Imago Dei, itself. The rationalist merely defines these things out of existence, and as a result, is unable to reason about God at all. Or we can say that his reasoning will be limited to mundane facts of common experience, not to that which transcends them. They will simply project onto God their own limited understanding, like a two-dimensional circle pronouncing on the nonexistence of spheres. Of course spheres do not exist for such a square. They can prove it with ironclad logic.

This is what happens when reason detaches itself from the intellect, which is the realm of pure, unencumbered intelligence and contemplation. Properly understood, reason is a tool of the intellect, not vice versa. Something is not true because it is logical, but logical because it is true. The rationalist confuses truth with method.

One of the monumental lies of our age is that the intelligence is somehow limited, so that the realm of ultimate issues must be left to faith alone. Who said that intelligence is limited? If so, how do we know that that statement is not equally relative and limited? Who said that human beings are intelligent enough to pronounce on the limitations of intelligence? Either intelligence is in principle unlimited, or else it is arbitrary, relative, and illusory, incapable of saying anything with certitude. But the shallow contemporary thinker wants it both ways: the omnipotent ability to know where to place an absolute line between what is knowable and what is not.

But reason is not autonomous, and cannot reason without data being supplied from elsewhere. As Schuon writes, “Just as it is impossible to reason about a country of which one has no knowledge, so also it is impossible to reason about suprasensory realities without drawing upon the data which pertain to them, and which are supplied, on the one hand, by Revelation and traditional symbolism, and, on the other, by intellective contemplation, when the latter is within reach of the intelligence. The chief reproach to be leveled against modern philosophy and science is that they venture directly or indirectly on to planes which are beyond their compass, and that they operate without regard to indispensable data...”

Bottom line: I would not presume to get into an argument with Van Gogh about what he saw with his eyes. I’d rather just enjoy the depth of his vision. But if you don’t believe in depth of artistic or spiritual vision, then a Van Gogh is no better than a Thomas Kinkade purchased on QVC, and atheism is just as profound as the Upanishads.

12. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Same language as "Inna Godda Davida ?

13. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is it?

14. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    "How does one respond to such invincible ignorance?"

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The guy clearly does not understand atheism, but he sure has a lot of anger against it, for all his protestations that he has nothing against "good" atheists.

Theism and atheism are questions of belief, and belief is not the same as knowledge. Anyone who claims to "know" something that is purely a matter of belief, simply does not understand the concepts of belief and knowledge. A theist believes that there is a god or gods. An atheist believes that there are no gods. An agnostic holds no belief regarding the existence or non-existence of a god or gods.

Both theists and atheists can be militant or laid-back in their beliefs (I've never heard of a militant agnostic, but perhaps they exist.) A rational person of whatever belief will acknowledge that they cannot know whether there is a god or not. The author quoted by ufourya cites "experiences" of large numbers of unnamed people, and fails to understand that personal experience is extremely subjective, and is governed by psychological factors which have biology at their roots. "Spiritual" experiences are real experiences which many people have, due to our common physiology, but it is a serious mistake to attribute supernatural explanations to them. As for "mapping" the spiritual realm, this may indeed be possible, but it is a journey through the human brain, not a land of gods.

In the end the article is nonsense because it draws unjustified conclusions from subjective experiences.

I cannot know that there is no god. But I can state with a high degree of confidence that there is no evidence for a god or gods, and that to believe in god one must rely on something other than reason and physical evidence. I believe there is no god. My antagonism toward religion grows out of my revulsion for the killings, tortures, and intolerance that people throughout the ages have used religion to justify, from burning people alive for their "heretical" beliefs, to denying the right of marriage to same-sex couples, religion foments hatred, violence, and intolerance. But my hatred of religion for the harm it causes, and my belief that there is no god, are two very different things. That religion is wrong, and that it is bad, are separate and almost unrelated beliefs.

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He also fails to mention that these experiences can be had by people who have radically different views on religion (actually they generally have similar view but the details are quite different to each other). When I was in the service I used to have quite interesting and passionate debates with the religious types. They always had to fall back on "But I know it's true, I can feel it." I always pointed out that I could find any number of people from other religions that felt exactly the same way. They always seemed to dismiss that point. I don't think I'm a militant agnostic, but I'm a passionate one. ;)

17. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Answering a question with a question... :tsk:

18. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

There are these four ways of answering questions. Which four? There are questions that should be answered categorically [straightforwardly yes, no, this, that]. There are questions that should be answered with an analytical (qualified) answer [defining or redefining the terms]. There are questions that should be answered with a counter-question. There are questions that should be put aside. These are the four ways of answering questions. ~ Buddha

As for Daniel's response, it seems he is projecting his own stated hatred for religion onto Mr. Godwin. I find no rancor in Bob's 'rant'. Please point it out.

19. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, but when answering with a question you've got a choose the right question and one that encourages and challenges (constructively) the first. Your question did neither.

20. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's "Truthiness"