1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reluctant to go into gear the first time each morning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Telkwa, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There isn’t anything complicated about this. The battery is easy to replace yourself. I think the only tool is a 10mm wrench, preferably a 1/4” drive ratchet. Auto parts stores will replace it free. If you need to drive the car to the parts shop, an ordinary jump start will get the car started and get you there.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not hard at all to change. Disconnect negative cable from the post first, reconnect it last. A 10 mm box wrench is pretty much all you need. I'll get out a small ratchet wrench as well, and invariably find it's getting in the way, too bulky. And, a small wrench you hold more enclosed in your hand; less liable to touch something and short out.

Tighten till snug, then firm it up a bit more, but be gentle. Give the clamps a tug, make sure they're solid.

You might also want a wire brush, the kind that looks like a bottle cleaner, but for battery clamps, is good to have: chase it through the clamps before reinstall. A little fine sandpapering of the posts doesn't hurt either. Try to pick up the lead dust with a damp paper towel.

I like to hook up new batteries to a smart charger prior to install, do a full charge session. But a new battery in good shape, it's not manadatory. Especially if you're driving daily.

When I replace ours with an Optima Yellow Top the only issue I encountered was an ever-so-slight difference in the new battery height meant Toyota's lame-brain hold-down bracket design was rocking atop the battery. I put a shim washer under one side, and it's fine.

#22 Mendel Leisk, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  3. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you see the info I posted about the $146.24 Bosch (but no matter what name is on it, it may well be manufactured by Johnson Controls) battery at PepBoys? Do you have one of their stores in your area?

4. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No PepBoys in our area.

I ended up driving the car out of the garage and hooking up a little solar trickle charger. The panel is about the size of a loaf of bread. Battery removal was straightforward with a 3/8" drive ratchet, 10mm socket, and 10mm end wrench for the negative post.

I shut the rear hatch before heading to the dealer. Thought it might rain a little. That was a mistake. When I got back from the dealer with the new battery the hatch wouldn't open. I finally jumpered the Prius with our Subie, and the hatch still wouldn't open until I flicked the unlock switch on the driver side door.

I ran into this once before when I'd run the battery way down. The hatch doesn't open unless there's voltage. I don't know why it locked itself. If I'd remembered the previous episode I wouldn't have shut the dang hatch.

The car lost its clock setting (and probably radio) but the single reverse beep was unaffected.

One thing I wanted to mention - remember I couldn't get into the Diagnostic Mode? I think that had something to do with the almost-dead battery. Followed the exact same instructions after installing the new battery and it went into Diagnostic Mode the first time I tried. It said the battery was at 11.3 volts. Now that I know how to get to the Mode I'll check in a week or so and see if it's above 12.

I should double check at the battery with a multimeter.

frodoz737 and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely. all the best!