1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reman hybrid battery install malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Raymond Linam, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Greetings all,

I have a 2007 With 234 K. Replaced the hybrid battery about 6 months ago with a Green Tech Auto gem. After about 5 1/2 later months I got the Death Star warnings again and code to replace battery.

Went through the warranty process and got another reman battery two days ago. Put it in yesterday, but now after installing everything as before, car won't power up. More specifically, engine won't start or go into gear, and all warning lights are on.

Took volt meter to the battery for testing to try and look for obvious install errors. The only thing I can find amiss is that, with the orange safety switch in and engaged, there is power on the battery side of the terminals (about 216), but nothing on the side going to the engine.

Finally to my question then - with the safety switch engaged, should I be able to read equal voltage on the posts and terminals leading out of the battery as on the battery side? Which might point to a switch or something not working, not allowing current to flow to engine? Even with car on - radio, lights, etc- can't get any voltage reading.

Thank you in advance

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you lock the orange plug? Press downward to lock it, that's the final step.

You'll probably need another warranty from greentec, those are not really gems

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, of course. Assuming that you are measuring at the right points.

It has been mentioned on here several times, I think, that getting the safety switch properly engaged is somewhat of a problem for some folks. Something like: If it is not aligned properly it won't "snap" into the actually connected position.

The really sad news is: MANY folks have found that re-man'ed batteries only last about 6 months, regardless of where they came from and what warranty they have. And virtually ALL of them are only partly re-built and still contain old cells.

4. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you both.

I believe the safety switch is properly engaged, because when it is out, the battery side shows no voltage, but when engaged, shows 216.

There is just no darn current on the other side!

I'm taking reading on the threaded bolt on which the 8 mm nut slides down to secure the orange wires going out of the battery to engine. The same bolts on the other side are where I'm getting the 216 volt reading. Pardon my lack of using proper terms...

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lock like the image Screenshot_2017-12-02-07-25-14.jpg

6. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you.

I've installed per picture. Slide in, flip lever up, then push down all the way.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The relays are connected?

Did you check your 12v battery voltage?

#7 JC91006, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Everything has a nut and all relays connected.

Assuming then a break in the bus bar wiring - that would again be a fault of Greentec, right, because this is the battery they sent me, and bus bar wiring is a part of the whole battery?

9. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    6.9v reading on 12v battery.

Just for random info about orange safety disconnect - I get the same voltage reading on battery side with lever flipped up, but not slid down as with when it is slid down.

10. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Must have left a light on last night...

But last night, before brilliantly leaving light on all night, all lights, gauges, etc seemed to be fine, indicating 12v batt ok

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is why your car won't start, not hv battery issue. This should read over 12v.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you.

Will charge 12v, and report later, but still question why no voltage reading on engine side of hybrid battery?

Maybe there is something that won't allow current to pass through without properly charged 12v

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think car has to be READY before you get voltage readings on those terminals.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes,
    Of course there is something that won't allow the power to pass without a properly charged 12 volt battery. Thing one and thing two are the black plastic relays that the battery and the orange leads to the converter are connected to. The relays are electromagnetic switches that are powered by the cars 12 volt system. Pressing the power button engages a 12 volt magnetic coil in the relay that closes the high power contacts thus allowing the power to pass. You can hear the relays click close when starting a Prius.

Brad

greasemonkey007 and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brad, thank you for explaining this already. When measuring voltage at the relays, positive lead on positive terminal and negative lead on negative terminal, there will be no voltage present with the safety disconnect removed. Insert the safety disconnect, and whether you have the interlock satisfied or not, voltage will now be present on the BATTERY side of the relays only. When you press the start button on the dashboard, assuming all permissives and adequate 12v power are present, these relays will shut, placing HV battery power onto the main cables going to the engine compartment/inverter. If the safety interlock sensing wire is not plugged into the safety interlock slot, the car will always think the safety switch is not installed.........This wire and plug is located at the bottom of the receptacle where the safety plug is installed. Check this if the 12v is not the problem.

16. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Post charge report:

12v batt back up to 12.4. Put back in, tried to start and same thing - all lights on and no start.

Car icon with exclamation point through on instrument panel above radio.

Orange/ red light on power button

Still no current coming through on terminal side going to engine from hybrid battery.

Any ideas other than sending back for another bad idea of a battery reman?

Thought of trying to call Greentech on Monday to see if they know what could be holding the power up, but low expectations for that.

Thank you so much again

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you check the safety disconnect sensing wire mentioned in post 15?

There are three plugs that must be installed on rear left corner of the HV battery when installed. Are all three of these plugs fully inserted into their receptacles?

Each of the main relays has a wire that plugs into the side of it's housing which supplies power to operate the relay.. Is this plug fully inserted on each relay?

#17 TMR-JWAP, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    After installing the 12v battery, put foot on brake and press start button. Wait about 5 seconds and press start button again., Alarms should clear and car should go to ready mode

19. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was it!

The safety disconnect sensor wire wasn't plugged in to the orange disconnect. The black housing it sits in was sheared off from where it sits in. I noticed this earlier, but couldn't locate where it went.

So with it plugged in, the car started up. Of course, the instrument panel under windshield decided to go black again precisely now, so I can't see if all the warning lights are now off there, but the red car icon with exclamation on climate instrument panel went off.

So thank you chaps for sharing your wisdom and Saturday morning/afternoon with this bumbling wanna be mechanic.

Happy holidays

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He shoots.........he scooooorrrrreeeeeesssssssssssss. Sweet....