1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remanufactured Elec Power Steering Rack & Pinion have you done it???

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by depriusoto, Apr 12, 2018.

1. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone replaced their rack&pinon assembly with the re-manufactured unit by Detroit Axle? Found it on EBAY for about $450 and it has a lifetime replacement warranty. The new Toyota assembly was $2000+!
    Thanks,
    Ed K

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't done it. Is yours ailing? I'd try to find one in a Pic 'n' Pull type junk yard first. For about $75.

Never heard of Detroit Axle but it's not a bad price. And they do have a web presence. It's easy to offer a "lifetime warranty" on a part for a car that's already approaching or already passed it's best used by date. The rest of the car will go to heaven before another rack does.

#2 Brian in Tucson, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been sort of thinking about this all day. I don't think I go with the rebuilt. It's just a motor driven worm drive and the part that would wear out is the motor. First thing I'd check is the brushes. They're carbon blocks that do wear down. You may be able to find some brushes that you can adapt and make work.

But, honestly, I'd buy a lower mileage used unit. Seems to be lots of them on Ebay for around $100 to $150. I know, time is money. But for me, time is cheap and money ain't. So for any automotive project, I look hard for ways to do it on the cheap. $450 isn't cheap.