1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remembering the World Series Earthquake...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amm0bob, Oct 17, 2013.

1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I owned a home in the hills north of Santa Cruz... the wife and 1 year old daughter were in Sacramento, I was kicking back watching the game on the projector tv... thinking how peaceful it was without folks around.

Then all hell broke loose for a little under a half a minute... my butt was bounced almost 3 feet into the air several times... half of the house came down, I was able to crawl out the side of the house through where a wall once covered my view.

The aftershocks helped to bring more of the house down before the end of the night...

I was convinced to move away from the faultlines by our folks, whom didn't get to see me for two days... which is why I now live in Sacramento.

cwerdna and JMD like this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok so we're you injured ?

Did you own that home and how were you impacted financially ?

3. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was in a college library about 150 miles south east of your location. I was sitting in a rather large marble floored lobby stuffing books and papers into my backpack when I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, the floor moving from my right to the left. About the time I fully looked up I felt the floor lift and settle in a rolling motion. This lasted for perhaps 5 to 10 seconds. There were three distinct large waves and 4 to 6 smaller ones. I immediately stood up and said to some nearby students "hey we just had a small earthquake!" a moment later I amended my comment by saying "or San Francisco just had a really big quake!" Sadly, for many, it was the latter. This is the one and only earthquake I've felt my entire life and over thirty of those years have been in California.

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was our second home in Cali... I shared ownership with Wells Fargo... I only had some bruises...the dog was crushed by the roof mount coming off and rolling onto her doghouse... she never was the same.

I didn't have earthquake insurance... but only owed $45K on the note. between the wife and I back then what we had in savings and what we made was more than enough to get into another place fairly quickly... some of the neighbors, not so much.

I lost my nerve about living on the faultlines... I understand the property thereabouts is quite pricey now... IDGAF

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's unbelieveable!:eek: we were in the living room, here on the east coast watching on t.v., what a day! we were glued to the set like on 911. i remember watching people on the bay bridge? very scary. and everyone in the park sitting there with the lights out, all the players on the field. amazing they kept it all together. i probably have a few details wrong, but that was a frightening day, even way out here.

6. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember the day well, unloaded furniture in San Leandro, then over the double decker that's not there anymore to Castroville. Loaded canned goods for Delchamps, Hammond, La. and stopped in Modesto to fuel and found out about the quake because all the ComCheck computers were down. Was in the sleeper in Torrance when the Northridge quake happened, what a ride... Got home to Ky on Wednesday to find the state shut down with a snow storm. Lots of good memories from the "over the road" days. Some not so good.