1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

REMoD - Trying not to freak out

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MrWhoopee, Jul 3, 2019.

1. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Junior Member

The Beautiful Mountains of Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The dreaded Red Excalmation Mark of Death appeared last night.
    '07 Prius w/ 142k, to the best of my knowledge original batteries. My wife's homeward commute is 45 miles from 500 ft. elevation to 4000 ft. The temps yesterday were in the upper 80s, so air-conditioning on. Most of the elevation (1000-3500 ft) is in 17 miles, ending with a steep 1-1/2 mile grade (locally known as the Luge) just before reaching Shingletown. The hybrid battery is always in the purple by the time we reach the top of the grade, but recovers well once we reach town and is 4-5 bars blue by the time we make the last 10 miles and 500 ft. Battery charges to maximum green on the downhill commute.

She called last night from Shingletown with the REMoD just after climbing the Luge. I drove down to rescue her. REMoD and check engine lights on. I did a forced charge (in drive, foot on brake) and the battery charged to 3 or 4 bars blue in a few minutes. Left the car there and came home to clear my head and do some research before doing something stupid.

I don't expect a diagnosis on this minimal info, just looking for suggestions on how to proceed. I will have to take it to a shop to have the codes read. From where the car is now, it's 9 miles downhill to our local repair shop. When I say downhill, I mean I have coasted all the way without dropping below 35 mph. It is a general repair shop, but reliable and very honest. Since I haven't found a definitive answer, my first question is, is there any potential for further damage to be done by driving with the REMoD on, or should I break down and have it towed? Once I have the codes, we'll see where this goes.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I assume you know, reading the codes with a Prius literate code reader is step one.

Probably OK to make the trip to the shop, but I would go straight there because the car could strand you at any moment.

Given the large elevation changes, that's a lot of cycles on the battery, so I'd guess that that's the problem, but it still could be in the sensor wires, inverter, etc.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What Jerry said above... But if there's a nearby auto parts store to get the initial error code read for free would be wise. You won't be able to get subcodes, but you'll be able to find out if the focus is going to be on your battery pack or your inverter or your inverter cooling pump, etc..

In general Prius prefer to get charged back up ASAP once they've climbed a mountain so your driving conditions are hard on it. Having a trickle charger like the Prolong system to keep the battery pack periodically charged and balanced will extend its lifespan. This gear will also allow you to re-condition battery pack so you don't see so much rapid fluctuation in charge levels while mountain climbing.

4. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the input. I drove to the local shop. He has a Prius literate scanner and did not charge to read the codes. They are:
    P0A93
    C2318
    B1271
    Called the semi-local hybrid shop in Redding, to my surprise they said bring it on in. Even more surprising, they are open 8-12 tomorrow (7/4). Expect a call later today. At least it's not the traction battery (yet).

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like the inverter water pump ;).

Source that as you take it in:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The drive down hill will be ok on a failed inverter pump, but to be safe, don't use the air conditioning and put a bag of ice on top of the inverter (were it says "Hybrid Synergy Drive") for the drive down there.

Make sure you don't attempt to drive up the mountain until that's repaired. Also replacing this pump is something you could save money on an do yourself. It's an easy job with lots of youtube videos on how to do it.

A new pump on Ebay can be as low as $28 and Red (Asian) coolant for Toyota is about $15. So if you want to DIY that's you're only expenses involved.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does that bag of ice trick really work?

8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it’s the inverter pump couldn’t he check the reservoir for circulation?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes;).

So something easy to check(y).

Skibob likes this.
  10. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Damn! I thought I was just going to tell the hybrid shop to do the work.

upload_2019-7-3_16-26-0.png

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that doesn't look bad

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm about to put in a new used inverter on my car and I'm intrigued by the cooling system flush that they have in your estimate... Does that stuff really work? Maybe I should rig up the pump on the bench with a 12volt battery and circulate that stuff in the system? Or maybe that's a waste of time? I'm gonna have to research that? What do others think?

Anyways if I were you @MrWhoopee I'd buy the pump on Ebay for $28 and buy the coolant yourself and if you get stuck or uncertain you can get the work done yourself, hire a friend or family member to help. All the info on how to do this is on youtube. It's one of the most common Prius repairs... Then go spend that money you save on an extra night or two at a nice hotel while on Summer Vacation!

13. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking. It doesn't look like a particularly tough job. Been reading some sketchy reviews of the cheap replacements, but I've found a listing for a new OEM pump for $96.

Can anyone shed light on the "Water Valve" specified in the quote?

14. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for this hint. I've ordered a new OEM Toyota pump off eBay for $85. Going to pick the car up tomorrow morning and have AAA tow it to my house. Fortunately, I didn't have them tow it to the shop.

Still no ideas about the "Water Valve" in the quote? Maybe not be that commonly replaced?

Skibob likes this.
  15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure the quote is because they wanted to do a full flush of the whole radiator and both the engine and inverter coolant system and the valve they're referring to is the thermostat?

But I still have to better understand doing full maintenance on Prius radiator, because that's what I'm about to research for my car today... So I'll update you once I learn more...

In the meantime, could you please private message me your ebay link and when your pump arrives send me pics of the packaging and pump? I"d like to do a comparison on the differences between my $28 pump from Ebay versus your $85 one. I tried to find differences in the more expensive ones but was unable to figure it out and want to study it more and do a post about it so future buyers will have as much info as possible to decide what to buy....