1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote A/C function on PiPh

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rogerv, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is the point of being able to start the A/C if it shuts down as soon as a door is opened? I'm not talking about using the feature when the charging system is active, but rather when the car has been sitting in the sun, such as while one is grocery shopping, etc.:confused:
    Just noticed the "h" in the thread title. Meaningless typo.:rolleyes:

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I haven't used it yet, but if I can cool down the car for ten minutes before getting in, that would be nice.

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't get too excited. The range isn't that good. I used it once when it hit 90 here but it didn't start until I was about 50 ft from it. Trust me, it didn't take very long for me to walk those few feet. It actually started the ICE too, not just turned on the A/C.

1 person likes this.
  4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The range is great if you have the advanced model... As long as the car receives the cell safety connect signal it works.

Mine does that too, where it shuts off when the car door is opened (same way the remote start feature works). It's lame but it does cool the car down. If the car had more EV range I'd use it but unless I'm plugged in I don't see myself using it to loose range for no reason. And if I am plugged in it's more than likely in my garage where i don't need pre-cooling.

Again, for the 4th Gen Plug-in Prius Toyota, people want range and many who buy a plug-in are willing to pay for it.

2 people like this.
  5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Mine does that too, where it shuts off when the car door is opened (same way the remote start feature works)."

No kidding? You start the car remotely, and then it shuts down when you open the door? And then you have to start it again? Sorry, but to me that is really lame!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and an electric heater that works while it's plugged in.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's fine for me, I can click it ten minutes before lunch and "everything's cool"

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Temps hit the 80's today and the remote AC was great! Sure, I'd prefer if it ran from my smartphone, but on the 50 walk, the car cooks down considerably.