Remote A/C retrofit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 4md, Mar 29, 2018.

1. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone!
    My Prius doesn't have remote engine start, remote AC or solar roof. I'm wondering if I purchase a key with AC button and program it, it will start the AC? I've been searching about this, but I couldn't find an answer about replacing the regular key with the one with an AC button, sorry if I'm duplicating a discussion.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went with remote start because I live where I more need to heat up the car and remote A/C does not run very long or heat a car. Presuming that your model Prius automatically turns on the heat or A/C when it powers on (if you leave it on Auto), a remote starter from Toyota would be the most seamless upgrade.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do they have keys with a/c on them for gen 3? the pip has one, but only when plugged in i think.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don’t know. Remote start uses standard fob. It’s a sequence of button presses that activates the car.

5. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the remote AC is available with every Prius which has the solar roof and not limited to PIP?
    qdllc, I like the idea of remote start, the temps here go below -5*F (-20*C) sometimes in the winter. I'm watching for ebay auctions or good deals, but those listings are very few and I'm too cheap and don't like the idea of spending $200-300 for this option :D

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, that's right, good point.

7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, for me, the remote start was way better an option. Remote A/C only ran for a few minutes and/or until the battery level dropped so far. Remote start will run around 10 minutes and heat or cool the car.

It was $800 added when I bought the Prius new (although Toyota indicated the price was $500), but still...the best money I’ve spent.

Aftermarket versions might be cheaper, but make sure they guarantee compatibility with your year and model.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know.

I had the auto-ac feature on my solar roof option gen 3 and was the reason I purchased that trim level. IF this would work at all, you'd need at minimum a NEW fob as a used one shouldn't be able to seed with the cars' SKS system. A long search of the factory manual would be needed to see how involved it becomes.

Anyway, I've installed "auto-start" systems on other vehicles and they work MUCH better (stronger signal, longer range etc.) than the auto-ac prius setup. The main difference would be the operator would have to set the HVAC system to appropriate settings before shutting off car as the auto-start simply starts the car (brings on-line in the case of a hybrid) and doesn't change settings. Make sure the manufacturer supports the Prius before purchase as the installation is fairly involved.

9. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The solar package comes whit a AC button on the remote