1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote A/C Waiting Period?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by PiPLosAngeles, Jun 10, 2020.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    In my 2012 PiP I would regularly use the remote A/C when I was taking a quick trip into a store or the Post Office. I get out of the car and hold the A/C button on the key fob and away it goes. It would run for ten minutes before it shut off.

In my 2018 Prime there appears to be some kind of waiting period after you turn the car off or close the doors where the remote A/C will not activate. I've tried waiting a minute or two and still can't activate the remote A/C. It activates fine after ten or fifteen minutes. Drives me crazy on a daily basis during the summer. Does anyone know how long the waiting period is, why it is, and if it can be disabled?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think this is pretty much standard for just about any air-conditioning system. After it’s been running and you shut it off there is a waiting period before you can start it back up again. I think the pressures have to equalize.

3. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I mean without it running. There is a waiting period even if it's not been running. There is no waiting period if it's been running 20 seconds before and you turn the car back on.

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve only used remote AC twice and most recently two days ago. The car was sitting on the driveway and the sun was very bright so I figured the interior was pretty warm. Using the fob like you I pressed and held the AC button and the AC started within seconds after the beep.

5. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Now go out to the car, put it in READY mode without turning on the A/C. Then turn it off, close the door, lock it, and try and start the remote A/C. If I recall correctly, just opening a door is enough to start the waiting period.

6. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    ■Operating conditions
    The system will only operate if all of the following conditions are met:
    ●The shift position is in P.
    ●The power switch is off.*
    ●All doors are closed.
    ●The hood is closed.
    *: The Remote Air Conditioning System cannot be used for approximately 3
    minutes and a half after the power switch is turned off.

7. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Huh. I missed that footnote. I wonder what the purpose of that timeout is? 3.5 minutes seems like a long time when you're standing next to your car in the parking lot in 110°F weather waiting to be able to start the A/C.

Were bad things happening to the PiP?

On my car the waiting period is triggered just by opening a door. I just triple checked right now. Car has been OFF for more than two hours. Opened driver's door and closed it. Press and hold A/C ... beep and nothing.