1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Climate - Entune App

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by RMORRIS653, Mar 1, 2017.

1. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Won't your car lock automatically after you start to drive away? Mine does

2. Dale Leonard

Dale Leonard Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For the remote climate control to work, the windshield wipers have to be off. Not on automatic, but off.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Ugh. So it just goes into IG-ON (like it does in Gen 3). Kinda defeats the purpose of rain-sensing wipers if you have to keep moving them to the OFF position (works fine in the summer when it's dry but not in the winter when I want heat and I'm more likely to use the wipers)

4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have not seen any evidence of that.

Mine has its windshield wipers are on auto/rain-sensing, and while remote climate sometimes does indeed fail for me (and always takes a while to activate), it does succeed after trying a second time.

iPhone ? Pro

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, I tried it just now, from within the house, and notice a couple of wacky things:

First, as usual, it took a long time to activate on the app, but actually activated on the vehicle itself fairly quickly.

Second, when I turned off remote climate, it reported a couple times that remote activation (not deactivation) failed, but did in fact successfully turn it off.

iPhone ? Pro

6. kortik

kortik New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    does this entune Remote climate only works with Prime Advanced or all trims?
    I have Plus trim!

7. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't see how this precludes them using entune. from what I know, entune is built on Linux. AGL simply creates a standardized Linux distro of all the components necessary to built an auto application (device drivers, interfaces, etc.). The application on top of things (entune) is entirely in the manufacturers purview.

besides, all it really means is that any security breach exposed in AGL will now effect every car and every manufacturer that uses it and open up a much larger world to attack. it's one thing to have your laptop or desktop get infected with a virus, it's entirely something else to have a few tons of metal travelling at 80 mph get hacked.

terrorism is going to take on a whole new meaning in the coming decade.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remote Climate is available on all Prime trim levels. The term "remote" varies between Plus and Premium, and Advanced trims.

On all trim levels, the key fob has the "HOLD A/C" button which will activate remote climate (heat or cool) within range of the fob.

On the Advanced trim level, there is a smartphone capability that allows the owner to turn on the climate control with the Entune App on their smartphone. In addition, there is the ability to control the type of heating or cooling (max cold, last set temperature setting, max heat) as well as the ability to turn on/off the front and rear defrosters (note that the rear defrosters also include the heated mirrors).

9. kortik

kortik New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wow so why only Advanced trim gets all the goodies? Is $27K not enough to have that feature, one must spend $30k+ to get it?
    I do not understand the logic from Toyota.

10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Admittedly this is just semantics, but does Toyota call the key-fob function “Remote Climate”? I got the impression that they only include the Entune function under the term “Remote Climate.”

iPhone ? Pro

11. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do many or any other cars that have smartphone apps for remote climate-control or other “remote-control” functions, list for less than $30K? I certainly don’t claim to have investigated the question, but just right off the top of my head at least, I can’t immediately think of any.

The costs associated with the remote app are probably not trivial, in that they require a cellular data connection, beyond that provided by our cell phones for running Pandora, and so forth.

iPhone ? Pro

#31 mr88cet, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't understand you're frustration. Toyota had a clearly delineated set of models (ok, maybe not "clearly", but the information was out there to be seen), with different features for different price points. While you can argue their decision regarding which feature to put in at which level, certainly they need to make the premium trim more enticing than the plus in order to justify the increased cost, and certainly they need to make the advanced more enticing than the premium.

the cost to Toyota has no bearing. they simply decided on 3 price points and put together a list of features that would entice customers to shell out money to reach those price points. some do, some decide that those features aren't worth it for them.

NOW... what would be nice is if they gave you a check box with a cost for each individual feature and then you could pick and choose which feature you wish to have. Unfortunately Toyota doesn't work that way (some manufactures do... take a look a the "build" option for a corvette or a ford super-duty). You can't even "build" a prius, you just take whatever they happen to ship to the port and then to your dealer. With Toyota you're living in a world of trim levels.

13. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I personally agree, but I gather Kortik perceives that $27K should be enough to pay for Remote Climate.

iPhone ? Pro

14. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Everyone is going to have a favorite feature they wish was on their trim level.
    My wish is that they added power seat memory...Not even available on the prime advanced trim.
    At least with remote climate, you could choose to pay more and get it...

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I guess technically the fob is "Remote A/C" and the Entune function is "Remote Climate" as listed in the brochure. It's weird because the "Remote A/C" does heating and cooling (which is what I interpret as "remote climate").

However, it's possible that Toyota Japan is implying that "A/C" is the climate control or HVAC and that "remote climate" implies you have greater control over the interior temperature (with the max cold and max heat functions).