1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote climate or engine start on 2015 Prius 2

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by scb, Aug 11, 2015.

1. scb

scb New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just purchased a CPO 2015 Prius 2. We live in the heat of Texas with a 6-month-old baby and the most important accesory we wanted was remote climate/air conditioning. Dealer said it wouldn't be a problem to add. Fast forward 2 days, AFTER purchase. We have been told by another dealer it's impossible to add remote climate.

Given conflicting information, I'd love to know if anyone HAS been able to add remote climate or remote engine start to their Prius 2. Also, advice on what to avoid (different types/quality in terms of these accesories?)? Thank you for the collective wisom and comments.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's an easy addition. Your dealer is a moron.

I'm not sure if there's any difference between 2013 and 2015 but I bought a 2013 Prius Two, and I had the remote start put on as by Toyota before I picked it up. I should point out that there is no "remote climate" option for the Prius Two...period. You're probably thinking about "remote A/C" which runs on battery power only for a few minutes. I didn't care about that.

With remote start, you start the car and it runs for 12 minutes (IIRC). Your A/C or heat will operate if it was left on when you turned off the Prius and it will work to heat/cool the car to the temperature you've selected.

scb likes this.
  3. scb

scb New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in TX, so remote A/C is just what I need. Barring that, remote engine start will do the same thing. Question remains, CAN remote A/C be added to the vehicle?
    (We purchased the car far away from home and didn't care to leave it at a distant dealer to have anything installed. They said it would take 2 days, which is ridiculous on a couple fronts. I suspect it's bwcause they knew they could NOT install remote climate...)

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. "Remote A/C" is an optional feature on given trim levels...part of the solar roof package which is often part of the Threes and Fours you see on the lot when you walk in. It is utter unavailable on a Prius Two, and I don't know how practical it would be to try to install on a Three or Four that DOES NOT have the solar roof package. I'm sure the components that make it work are available, but it's designed as part of a package installed at the factory.

Remote start is a module (essentially) the dealership installs in a matter of minutes and codes to your key fob.

Remote start is a superior option for four reasons....

1. It runs for 12 minutes...not 3 minutes.

2. It runs for 12 minutes regardless of battery level because the ICE will kick on if needed. The other will shut down if the battery is low on power.

3. It will HEAT and COOL where the other just cools.

4. It's way cheaper than going for the next trim level up just to get the solar roof option if that's the only feature you really want.

I don't know how effective the "remote A/C" proves to be. It's intended to work in conjunction with the solar roof which pumps outside air into the car (negating a good chunk of heat), but if the sun's out strong and it's HOT out, I can't see 3 minutes of A/C doing you any good compared to 12 minutes of A/C under those conditions. Probably works best on overcast or sunny but not too hot a day.

Blizzard_Persona and scb like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, did we answer the question?

scb likes this.
  6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought so. You can't add remote climate. You can add remote start. Remote start, by virtue, gives you remote client.

scb likes this.
  7. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^Does that assume the car resumes the last state of the A/C function (presumably on)?

Also where is this kit, what does it consist of, and what is the install like? Is this a factory Toyota feature and does it work by holding something down on the key?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a guy on another thread is buying a new prius II, and having the dealer install remote start for $350. didn't mention if factory or aftermarket. yes, you need to turn the climate to full cold before shutting down the car.
    Btw bisco, you can edit your previous posts and not start two back to back posts, merged.
    btw, you can walk out to your car and do the same thing in ten seconds, but you may have to use the mechanical key to lock the door.

#8 bisco, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
    scb likes this.
  9. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    avusblue likes this.
  10. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. It should be a Toyota product. The price may vary. I paid over $800 and the dealer claimed it was because of what Toyota charged him for the part (the list price is based on it being put on at the factory...which it isn't). For best results, I'd rather go with the OEM Toyota version than a 3rd party design.

2. The Prius A/C resumes at startup at whatever setting(s) you had when you turned off the car. You DO NOT need max AC for cooling. Set the temp you desire and put the climate control to AUTO. The system will do what is needed to bring the car to the desired temperature for as long as it's running. So, unless you want it to get as cold as possible in 12 minutes, you don't have to turn it as low as it will go.

3. I've not seen what the kit consists of. Since most everything in the Prius is interconnected digitally, a simple "module" probably is all there is to it. It's part of a larger "VIP security system" you can purchase and operates off your default key fob.

avusblue and scb like this.
  11. scb

scb New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your insightful replies. Remote engine start is clearly the way to go. My local dealer charges $399 for the parts, plus labor at 1-3 hours. They directed me to a 3rd party vendor who charges $499 for everything (parts + labor). Not sure about 3rd party, so I may go through the more expensive dealer.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only problem with 3rd party is if you have trouble, and they point to the prius, and dealer points back. probably not a big deal, but happens now and again.

scb likes this.
  13. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know how Toyota looks at it, but when I had an OEM cruise control installed on a new Mazda (it didn't come with it off the lot), Mazda said if it was installed by Mazda, it would fall under the original warranty on the truck. If someone else did it, it would have it's own part warranty and that would be it. The install also had to happen within X months/days of purchase to qualify.