1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote driving control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fruzzetti, Oct 17, 2008.

1. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tried doing this yet, but the car seems like a perfect candidate for a hybrid remote control / human control car. you've seen plenty of stuff online where a guy replaces the driver with a bunch of equipment, rendering the driver's seat uninhabitable...

i want to start by tapping into the cruise control function with my new carpc v2. since it has 24 simple I/O channels available i'm sure i can use a few of those for the buttons... perhaps using that and my front camera i can write some software for distance-maintaining cruise control.... what do you guys think?

:p

~ dan ~

PS the 150 degree camera lens in the front was a total bust, but the 120 degree camera was perfect. 90 degrees might be passable, but is somewhat limiting.

2. Prius_SGP

Prius_SGP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Dan,

There is a pilot free Prius out there.....

It's a project form a guy in 'frisco. I think that it's a bit more then your looking at (he used lasers, gps, camera's and the works all mounted on the roof - bet it hit his MPG)

I can't remember where I saw it, whether it was on the associated press or BBC websites.

Good luck with the project.

3. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info; though I must say it's more an idea than a project. I would just like to go further than a simple "I can turn my car on or off" thing and since I have the computing power and a camera installed in the front of the vehicle I figure it's gotta be possible to at least create distance-maintaining cruise at the very least; the full car control would just be a fun endeavor if I were still made of time (every summer I get some free time, but for now it's just work work work). Tell me you wouldn't have fun driving from the back seat with a remote control, or from the passenger seat of a car behind the prius. Imagine someone pulling up next to a car that just had... NO PEOPLE IN IT...

haahahahahahahaha I want to take video of THAT.

~ dan ~