1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Engine Starter for Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Salamander_King, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know the answer to this question, but now it makes me wonder. With remote ICE starter installed, can it turn on the "Defrost" switch remotely? If yes, do I have to leave the defrost switch in "ON" position, when I turn the car off? I don't really care for heating an entire cabin, but what I really want/need is the remote windshield defroster switch. I don't even know how this works in other ICE only cars either, for I never owned a car with remote engine starter.

2. Rawrxs

Rawrxs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Sure thing!

So when the car starter module receives a signal to start the car it does a few things. Generally speaking, it will unlock the doors/relock the doors, start the car, and after it starts the car, it can send an electronic signal to other settings in the car through a computer or if there are specific relays setup to do things analog.

In this case, once the car starts the Viper car starter sends a signal to the car's computer that says that the hybrid button was just pressed, so it will change from EV to Hybrid and kick on the gas engine to heat the car. It also does this for the rear window defroster in my case. In the event that the EV battery is dead, and the car is already running in hybrid mode, it will just pop up that message that says cannot switch to EV due to low battery.

Whether or not the dealer can do this depends on what type of module they are using (Compustar, Viper, etc), and if they know enough about all of this to be able to do it properly. I know for a fact that it is very easy to program this into the viper car starter module. When a viper car starter is installed, it needs to be flashed with a specific software that your car understands. In doing this, the program on the computer has a list of about 20 options or so that you choose from for the car to do during the car start. One of these options can be made to toggle the hybrid button on ignition.

As far as reprogramming the car to turn off autoplay or save settings from your last driving session goes, you would probably need to alter actual files on the prius's main computer which is far more complicated than the car starter and would be done through an entirely different route, (I have started looking into this type of thing so I can change some of the graphics on the tablet to custom stuff, but I wont touch it while its under warranty since its essentially hacking at this point.)

Let me know if you have other questions. Its all confusing but the tech that did the install is my friend and he has explained how all of this stuff works a lot to me, and I can obviously ask for clarifications if needed.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    @Salamander_King IS your problem ice on the outside of the windshield rather than the inside? If so Google "windshield ice cover"
    I've been using things of this nature for 25 years. If it is humidity inside the car that freezes to the inside of the windshield as the car cools, I've been known to leave the doors open for a time after arriving at my destination so the interior cools more quickly. I seem to get less interior icing with that method. If you need to get ice off the inside, an expired credit card works well.

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for chiming in. I never had inside window icing problem. It is always outside windshield and rear window. I have used windshield cover on and off. It does protect from heavy frost build-up and helps to remove snow quickly, but it does not work on freezing rain. In fact, in the case of freezing rain, it can get completely frozen stuck on the windshield.

5. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the comment. But, no it won't work on the PRIME for my purpose. I don't think there is any way to start the ICE while the car is plugged in. I have basically given up on the idea now, but if you come across any use case of remote engine start where someone has demonstrated to start ICE while the charge plug is still in, please let me know.

#46 Salamander_King, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  7. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wellllll it just so happens I'm working on that issue as an update. I to would prefer the ICE to start as at least an option while plugged in, and I actually know exactly how to modify my adapter to make that happen. But, the poor installer will hate you! it will involve a butt-load of work to pull it off.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Please keep us posted on any progress you make. As I stated, the cost of installation for Compstar was much less than the dealer install. If it gets higher than dealer quote, it will be too much for my liking.;)