1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

remote key/door opener suddenly stopped working!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pellouch, May 15, 2009.

1. Marc7

Marc7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can someone help. My 12v battery was replaced in my 2007 Prius the keys only work when in the ignition. I only have one fob near the car at all times. The battery in the fob works well, the little LED light works & I can start the car but I have to lock & unlock with the metal key. Please help. This is a smart key with the silver logo on the back.

2. Keto BFray

Keto BFray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    One

So my remote access quit working the other day and the only thing I did was installed a new 12v PD charger for my tablet setup. I'm wondering now if that what is causing my issues. Don't have a smart key just the door remote.

3. abalmer

abalmer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ken:

I'm reading a post from 2009 that you made about a Prius remote key that doesn't even unlock the doors with the push-buttons on the remote. In my situation, not only don't the doors operate and unlock with the push-buttons on the remote, the SKS system does not appear to be functioning either.

The key fob is completely dead.

I've replaced the battery to the key fob and the new battery tests strong.

I have a second key fob that also is completely dead too. This second key fob won't unlock the doors either with the remote and the SKS system appears to be dead on this fob too.

The other confusing thing is on both key fobs, I do not have a blinking red light to the right of the door lock button on the key fob.

We've owned the Prius since 2004 and the SKS system and remote door unlock has operated fine.

Based upon the above, you suggested the following ...

If the only way into the car is with the metal key & the car won't start with the fob in the docking slot then it's likely you left something on & ran the 12V battery down & will need a jump to get you going. Since your car is fairly new, a jump start followed by a half hour drive (without shutting your car off until you get back to your driveway or garage) should be sufficient to re-charge it. But before you shut it down, look for whatever you may have left on to kill the 12V battery (usually it is the hatch not closing completely & leaving the cargo area light on).

I charged the 12V battery for about four hours this morning. I also disconnected and reconnected the 12V battery. After removing the charger, nothing changed. Both key fobs were still dead. The car started fine, but only with the key fob inserted into the car.

My question is whether there are any other options to check given this set of circumstances. Would the next step you would suggest be to go to the dealer to check for any codes relating to the SKS system? I attached an old Scanguage II to see if any codes materialized, but nothing appeared. I realize the Scanguage might be too dated for this type of reading.

Thanks,

Alan Balmer

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you may need to replace the fobs. maybe try cleaning the circuit boards and make sure buttons aren't stuck

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You didn't mention checking to see if the "Key" button on the dash underneath the steering wheel is in the "out" position.

Also, verify new FOB batteries were not installed upside down.

#45 fotomoto, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  6. abalmer

abalmer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

7. abalmer

abalmer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the Key button on the dash underneath is in the "out" position.

Ah, but the battery was installed upside down.

That's it, now it works!

Thank you.

bisco and fotomoto like this.