1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote start installed - Compustar T13 + Keylocker

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jteran5, Feb 15, 2022.

1. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I installed a remote start for my 2019 Prius. It's nice to go into warm cabin in the winter months when it's in the teens and colder here in NJ (I know it's nothing compared to the Midwest or Canada country!). Also I want the engine to run a little before I start driving as I literally hop onto the highway two blocks over before work and within 2min of getting into my car, I'm already at 65+mph.

I went with the Compustar T13 because they have the longest physical range (not a smartphone app) at 3 miles AND because they have proximity unlocking and passive arming. Meaning when I approach my car, it will unlock itself and when I leave the car, the system will arm itself as well. As for the 3 mile range, it's really only possible basically in an open field with a straight line of visibility to the car. Same for for all remote starts and their claims so I wanted something that has the longest range so I have a stronger signal inside buildings. Other brands have a max of 1 mile range.

I was worried that I might accidentally lock my keys in the car because when the engine is off, the Compustar system doesn't know if the keys are still in the car and arm itself automatically but thankfully with the proximity unlocking, it will unlock itself. It will just go in a continuous loop of locking or unlocking so there's no risk of getting locked out.

Another cool "accessory" I added was the Keylocker that ties into the Compustar system. For those that are unaware, with Toyotas, the physical OEM key fob must be in the car in order to start and drive off. It is not needed to remote start but as soon as you open the door, the car will turn off and in order to turn it on, it needs the physical key to be inside in order to start and drive. With the Keylocker, it's essentially a lockbox that is bolted in the car and secures the key fob.

With the keylocker, when they system is armed, it prevents the key from being recognized by the car so it will not start. Also, when armed, the box cannot be opened and if there is any attempt to tamper with it, the alarm will trigger. Normally you could remove the key fob as needed when you open the box but the way the installer did it (which I kinda didn't like) was that the battery is removed and power is sent through the key and the box simultaneously meaning that when the system is armed, there's no power through the key and when unarmed, power goes through it. Don't think it needed to be done that way but it does work as intended. I just can't remove the key fob anymore. Not a big deal because I carry the physical keyblade with me in case there's no power at all for some reason and I can still get inside.

Also, with the keylocker, there's a TouchPad that connects to it that eliminates having to carry any key fob, OEM or aftermarket). I just type my pin on the pad to unlock and disarm the system and because the OEM key fob is inside the car, I can just drive off. So that's another option ifi get locked out of my car (such as my compustar remote dying). It is very discreet and unobstructive. I had it installed on the passenger side on the upper corner. I also went with the newer KP2 model which is black and more discreet. The original pad was a bright green.

Another option is paying for a subscription service with an app to have access to remote locking, unlocking, and remote starting. This is something I'm trying to avoid but I do have that options as well. If worse comes to worse, and in locked out, I can always just pay $8 for the month and be able to unlock my car from the app instead of calling for a locksmith. It would only happen IF my remote is out battery, and IF the keypad doesn't work, and IF I didn't have my physical key. So there's a lot of options before I have to pay for the service.

The system I have also included, glass breakage sensor, shock sensor, and tilt sensor so I get any alerts on my remote if the alarm is triggered. I went through the whole keybox system to avoid having to carry two key fobs and just have it simple on my keychain.

The keylocker is currently installed in the arm rest console and I plan to put a board over it kinda like a fake a bottom to make it even more discreet. IMG_20220215_090442.jpeg IMG_20220215_090233.jpeg IMG_20220215_090241.jpeg IMG_20220215_090324.jpeg IMG_20220215_090328.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Darien Day likes this.
  2. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Just put a fake bottom in the arm rest console and everything looks clean now. IMG_20220217_201427.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Darien Day likes this.
  3. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    that is definitely pretty cool. I have a basic Fortin remote starter which I do like. But I did have an incident in which I parked my car for 10 days when I went on vacation and it was freezing cold when I wasn't able to start my car. I have a long range (~1 mile range) remote so I recommend you somehow disable remote start when you won't be driving for some time.