1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote start installed for $593?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Andrewlcox, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    All,

I got a quote from my local Toyota dealship to install an OEM remote start system on my 2012 Prius v 5 w/ ATP. The quote was $593 which includes parts and labor. Does this sound fair? I see I can buy the parts for $350 here in the Priuschar shop so they want nearly $250 to cover labor. Is the install really that labor intensive? Should I shop around? What's been your experience with the OEM system?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds reasonable. I have read that some aftermarket systems have longer range that makes the system more usable.

3. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paid $500 last year for Dealer installed Toyota OEM Remote, so your price is not bad. Not sure if it's really worth it to save a few hundred bucks and have possible warranty issues with a non dealer install. To install the Factory Remote yourself, there is some work involved, but also you need access to the Toyota Techstream Software to set up.

4. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was wondering if I could save some money by buying it for $350, installing it myself if it's "plug and play" and then pay the dealer to program it on their computer. Does anyone know if its plug and play or do I have to jumper and splice wires with the Toyota system?

Thanks,
    Andy

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ask the dealer to give you the install instructions and price the computer setup.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They're $300 on eBay...

7. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's what I'm talking about! I also did some research on bypass boxes by iDatalink and Fortin. I am scared to actually splice and jumper my electrical system with a big mess of spaghetti wires. They are much cheaper than the OEM kit but that's the problem, it's not OEM or "plug and play".

I think I will ask the dealership how much for a partial install if I source the OEM kit myself and just have them program it on their proprietary computer system.

Andy

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm hoping you've done some research, but just in case. The factory remote start has one annoying thing about it, it will shut off as soon as you unlock or open a door. So when it is hot the car is starting to get hotter again as you are putting your stuff in and getting in, and you have to restart. It also blinks a whole lot upon activation, if I remember correctly 20 times. If you can live with these two things and a shorter range than some of the aftermarket products than go for it....

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I have been using the remote start more. Not so many blinks as I thought. Definitely shuts off as soon as you unlock/open the doors.