1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote start on the Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by MaggieM11, Jul 28, 2013.

1. MaggieM11

MaggieM11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I placed an order for a Prius C on Friday. I wanted a remote start installed and was told it couldn't be done. I have seen people on here doing it themselves so I'm a little confused. Have any of you had it installed at a Toyota dealership?

2. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Goto xpresskit.com for the bypassyou can do it, but if you ordered a smart key Prius C its about useless. As soon as you open any door the engine will cut off and have to be restarted....

3. MaggieM11

MaggieM11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh ok didn't realize that's how they worked! Thanks!

4. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thats not how they work for most other cars, but the way toyota's system is thats how a remote start will work in a C 3/4. I don't know if the same limitation is on the C 1/2 or not...

5. MaggieM11

MaggieM11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I may add it right before winter so I can start it just to warm it up even if I have to restart it when I get in it. But good to know thanks!

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Could you get away with unlocking the door first? Or would it still shut off after you grab the door handle.

7. MaggieM11

MaggieM11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question!

8. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    As soon as the door opens it dies. My wife has a 2010 Venza, I'm a past MECP installer, have done remote starts in every car I've owned since my first, an 89 buick century! Anyways, The venza has the smart key also. Unlocking doesn't kill it, but opening any door (or even in her case remotely popping the hatch!) kills the remote start. Sucks for us as we have small kids. We use to use it to cool the car when approaching and sit the littlest in his car seat while we unload groceries... Now I have to start it, open drivers door, restart it, then put him in as I load the car up...

Not a huge deal, just want you to know.

Chris

ztanos likes this.
  9. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did, the salesman sold it to me not knowing what he was talking about. They scheduled the install and I brought the C back in. They provided a rental for the day. It's definitely aftermarket (mine is pursuit) and not integrated with the key fob as I was originally told it would be. It does die after opening the door, but it still does what I bought it for which is cool off or heat up the car.

10. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Most of the bypasses allow factory integration of the key fob by pressing lock 3 times quickly have you tried that?

11. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No I haven't. They gave me a separate fob for the remote start.

12. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    As far as I know, unless they took one of your keys, they would have had to have installed an xpresskit, or similar bypass. Both manufacturers I know of have the 3 locks on OEM keyfob start.
    They are also incredibly easy to install this way (if you don't add a seperate remote).
    My wife's venza was literally a plug and play T harness and I think 1, maybe 2 wires too hook up outside of that - it was awesome!

13. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    As an update, Fortin has modules for the push to start that ALLOW for take over (remote start, get in car it stays running, hit start button twice and drive away). I replaced my wife's Venza with one yesterday, works great. I have a C2, so no smart key, but doing the Fortin bypass module on it today.

14. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The v and regular prius have it as an option but not the c :/

15. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I still don't see the point in having a remote start for the C.. The car is going to be more efficient during the course of the trip if you just let it warm up as you're driving.

Nexus 7 ?

16. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Point = iced over doors, and windows. We can only get one car in the garage, and its not the Prius.

And - based on manually warming it up by starting it with the key for approx 8-10 minutes before I leave (on say a 20 degree morning) and getting in and driving I'm within a few MPG of starting vs not starting, so I'll take heat thnak you!

PriusC-illa and ztanos like this.
  17. flotowngtm

flotowngtm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I hate seeing this argument sometimes........ Let's face it NOT EVERYONE WHO PURCHASED A PRIUS WANTED IT FOR ABSOLUTE EFFICIENCY!! Some people just purchased it because it's good on gas and it's a nice car.

There are people up north that want remote start to heat up the cabin of the vehicle before they get in and drive it. And there are people down south that want remote start so that the cabin will be cooled off a little before they get in it and drive off.

Just because people purchase a Prius does not mean that they have to abide by every possible rule of efficiency, use every hyper mile technique and bash anyone with a SUV.

18. Jrlennox74

Jrlennox74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just had Best Buy install a remote start on my 2013 Prius C 3. I paid $315. For it. So far it works. Push the button on the remote I bought and the car starts up lights come on the car to indicate it's started. When you open the door the car shuts off. I have my original smart Key and the remote.

19. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I installed a evoall remote start on my c4. Pro of using evoall is that it uses the oem remote (lock 3x, for those that say leave the door unlock? no, b/c to remote start means you'll be locking the doors), so no extra fob to carry around, the con is probably that the range is limited to the fob (I guess put it to your head to increase the range? lol, but my car's pretty close outside so no worries). I had problems last winter where when it got too cold (below zero), remote start didn't want to work (but hopefully after redoing all the wiring for better contact/insulation this summer, remote start will want to work in those conditions)

I don't see the engine getting killed when doors (driver it seems) are opened as a inconvenience, I look at it as a necessary evil to avoid theft.

Also saw a deal floating around some bargain/discount site advertising a remote start kit from Bestbuy for 190 or w/e including install with their G-squad

20. OldNo7

OldNo7 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I had a pursuit pro 9776e remote start and alarm installed by the dealership. I have a c1 so no smart key, so I just ditched the keys with the feds built in and use a regular key with the fob that came with the remote start. It doesn't shut off when you open the door, just if you touch the brake or shift without putting the key in.