1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote start options for 2020 Prime XLE?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Cdgreg, Dec 23, 2019.

1. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Well I just went to the web site and they DO have a plug and play kit specifically listed for the Prime.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I saw it. 2017-2020 Toyota Prius Prime Plug & Play Remote Start Kit (Push Button | 12Volt.Solutions
    I sent a message to them asking about the functionality. I am pretty sure, they have very little if any knowledge of Plug-in hybrid and how different the Prius Prime is from the regular Prius. If I get a reply, I will report here. Better yet, if anyone has installed it on Prius Prime, I would like to hear about it.

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update on 12Volt Solutions remote engine starter kit. The tech from the company said it will only work if the charge cord is not plugged in. Also, he was not sure what happens if the charge cord is not plugged in but the traction battery has charge. For regular hybrid Prius, it will start the car in READY mode, which will cause the car to go to HV mode and start the engine. He was not aware of the fact that Prius Prime with traction battery charge left would start the car in READY on EV mode and manual switching to HV mode is required to start the engine. He said, he will research it and get back to me, but my feeling is that this kit will work to start Prius Prime engine only if the car is not plugged in and the traction battery has no charge left. Or, if the charge is left in the traction battery, but the temperature is low enough (below 14F) so that the car needs to start the engine for the set temperature heating.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I got another email from the 12VoltSolution tech on use of their model of remote engine starter on Prius Prime. Here is his message.

I tried to do some digging, but I don't think it's going to work on your vehicle. Also, the module we use for that kit doesn't list a plug in hybrid as a supported vehicle. Sorry for the bad news.