1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Start Options

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by br0keit, Dec 6, 2017.

1. br0keit

br0keit New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Curious as to anyone's thoughts about some remote start options for my wife's 2015 prius c four.

There's a "deal" at the local dealership where they install an aftermarket remote start that works with the original fob for $430.

On the other hand I can just get a Fortin Evo-All and install it myself for $100 can't I and get the same functionality (albeit with a bit more headache?)

Thoughts?

2. Brandon Most

Brandon Most Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    My first suggestion is to have her stand inside her office, house, etc where she would normally be using it and see if her factory fob has enough reach to make it worth while. That was always the biggest issue we had with those types of systems. I don't know your skill level, but if you plan to install it yourself make sure you know what you're doing. I've had a Viper system in my 4Runner for the past 8 years (with out issue) that I got for free because it caused nothing but problems in the vehicle it was in prior. When I removed it, it was obvious the install was either a very poor DIY, or done by an audio shop that shouldn't have been a shop! Install is probably even more important than the product in this case.

3. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    $430 is kind of steep (especially if it's just oem fob remote start = fob range), I guess you should have the backing of the dealership...BUT for $430, you might as well go the aftermarket 2-way extended range routes (even though you'll be carrying another fob the range is what matters when it's cold/hot outside instead of having to walk closer & maybe put your fob to your head for better signal)

I DIY a fortin into mine...works great when above 15degree F, but below that, I think I read somewhere that the LED arrow lights I installed behind my mirror was messing with the voltage that the car was getting when it's trying to remote start in cold temps (so it won't remote start in cold cold temp)...I need to remove those lights one day and see.

The DIY is sort of a pain in gathering the correct wiring schematics, deciphering which wire is wich (in such a tight space)...and ultimately the tight space that you will be working in (I'm a small 5'2" person and I can say that it was still quite a pain)