1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Start: Toyota vs Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MarkM09, May 22, 2009.

1. root

root New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure, the Viper SmartStart. I am considering the SmartStart with the GPS module. I was quoted $700 for both installed.

I would post links but apparenly I'm too much of a noob to post links :)

2. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yep. Just walk up to the car, touch the door handle and it unlocks just like it's supposed to. I've only used the key fob buttons once and that was to change the behavior of the SKS unlock (I wanted all the doors to unlock). Before they came up with these programable modules and had to bury one of the smart keys somewhere under the dash, I can see how that would break the SKS system. This was their first 2012 Prius installation so they were just as curious if the 2011 module would work. It did.

The range of the system seems to be line of sight as it has worked much further than 1500' out in the open. And I like the 2-way feedback.

A smartphone app would sure be convenient but then the system would need its own cellular data connection and the associated monthly recurring cost. I believe the Viper has that as as add on to the auto start and security system.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the Viper unit with the Smart Start module so I can start it with my Android Phone. It is such a great feature.

I have the system set to auto lock the doors after 20 seconds. Also when I touch the door handle all 4 doors unlock. Same with either of the keyfobs (OEM or Viper). I hit unlock once and all 4 doors unlock.