1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote starters?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by oil_burner, Dec 11, 2017.

1. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone installed one that will work well with the prius?

At my work the car sits outside in -20 to -30 degree temperatures all day. I want the remote starter so I can warm up the engine and defrost the windshield. There is no chance to drive the car to warm up, the second I pull out of the parking lot I have to climb a steep grade and within a mile turns onto a highway that climbs a mountain pass. There are no outlets for my block heater.

The uphill climb means I have to use a lot of throttle and strain the engine hard. I want the engine to be warmed up before I have to accelerate to 65mph. And for the finger wagging anti-idle people who are about to chime in, don't bother. If you havent lived in a place where -35 degree temperatures are common in the winter, you have no idea. No I can't just scrape my windshield off and gently drive away, unless I want to be rear ended and killed.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry no help for remote starter.

Even in those temperature just couple of minutes of idling will warm the engine up to 40c which is warm enough to accelerate uphill. That couple of minutes is the maximum allowed here if temperature is warmer than -15c, below it 4 minutes is allowed.

Here if somebody always has to start their car in cold without block heater they install additional fuel burning heater. Most of those are remote operated. I’ve install those for friends. You can find instructions for gen 2 Prius but if you have the coolant thermos, heater doesn’t fit as they take the same location.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the dealer should have one.