1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote Window Control?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by web1b, May 30, 2009.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

Can you open the windows via the key fob to exhaust hot air just before stepping in?
    I like the idea of the solar roof option, but I wouldn't get it because it's packaged with factory nav and other pricey options making it too expensive.
    Opening the windows would help and not waste gas like running remote start.
    Even using remote start with the A/C with windows closed wouldn't be that effective because the A/C will cool the interior much better and much faster if you exhaust the superheated greenhouse 140 degree air first.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't remember reading in any of the literature for the 2010 the abililty to do that. I know other cars do have it, like the new Accord...

3. web1b

web1b Active Member

Like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PnfjLGDNU4&fmt=18]YouTube - 2008 Altima Coupe Remote Window / Sunroof Control[/ame]

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah like that but the 2010 doesn't have it...

Honestly I don't see me using it that much, I will still get in and just drop the windows down myself. The few seconds it takes isn't going to make a huge noticalbe difference imo. If it had it yeah I'd use it but not a deal breaker to me.

5. web1b

web1b Active Member

It isn't a deal breaker, but it's nice to have. I have it in my current car and I use it every day on hot days. I can feel a blast of hot air coming from the car as I lower the windows while standing outside and it lowers the oven-like interior temp several degrees in a few seconds. I could live without it by getting in, starting the car in the full heat and then lowering the windows, but it's nicer with it and another easy feature Toyota could add.
    Much cheaper and easier than either solar roof or remote starter/remote a/c.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I'm rather disappointed. This should be a deal breaker! Prius owners/buyers are supposed to be like that!!

I'm not really disappointed

7. priora

priora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think remote a/c is a much better way to go.

8. web1b

web1b Active Member

The problem with remote a/c is that, if the car has been parked in the sun, there is a greenhouse effect that raises the interior air to oven-like temperatures. If you turn on the a/c without opening the windows to let most of that air out, the remote a/c will have to run for a very long time before it does much of anything.
    Opening the windows for 10 seconds as you walk up to the car will drop the temp alot further than turning on the a/c for 10 seconds with the windows still closed before you step in.

If you are leaving work work or going back to the car in a mall parking lot, you won't be within range to use the remote keyfob to turn on the remote a/c until you are a few seconds walking distance from the car.

I don't know what you expect remote a/c to do in just a few seconds.

Doesn't the remote a/c only run for 3 minutes max anyway? Even if it can run for 3 minutes or longer, are you going to walk by the car within range of the keyfob's range, turn on the remote a/c and then go back inside and wait for the car to cool down?

9. agentred

agentred New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's actually a really interesting point. I've never had a car that does this but it would be a pretty nifty feature. Another benefit is closing the windows/sunroof remotely if you've forgotten, that way you don't have to restart the car to do so.

It's interesting, between this and the auto-on headlights, I wonder how much the engineers thought of and didn't include or just forgot to think about altogether. Like putting the heated seat controls way down by your feet, who thought of that?! They should be fired!

Well, maybe there will be an aftermarket option for remote window control...

10. web1b

web1b Active Member

You can look at the aftermarket iPhone app in the message above.

11. agentred

agentred New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hahahah you know that's fake right? I would be very worried about teens controlling their cars with an iphone.

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Lexus does that when you hold down the unlock button, makes a big difference actually, lets the pent up hot air escape. Makes the car feel much cooler when you open the door.

13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Considering the car has the smartkey and we don't need to hit any buttons on the fob, while having the window feature would be cool, it defeats part of the allure of not having to touch the fob at all.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Options are nice. I still carry the keys in my pocket, smartkey or not and just reach my hand in and push the button.

The newer Lexuses with the smart keys still roll the windows down when you hold down the unlock button.

15. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah it'd be nice if they added it but they unfortunately didn't... Guess the HS250H owners will have it all lol

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Guess so lol

Actually I like the look and setup of the 2010 Prius a lot more than the HS250h...

17. web1b

web1b Active Member

You wouldn't have to do use the fob every time you get in the car, only when the car has been sitting in the sun and you decide the effort of pulling out the fob and pressing the button is better than suffering in more heat than you have to when you reach the car.

If the car had 4 window one touch auto-down that you could activate when you open the door before you sit down, that would at least be better than nothing.

18. hughh

hughh New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had that feature in my 04 BMW and after finding out how to use it I found out in the TX summer heat it was useless. In my car, you had be be real close to the car and keep holding the button until all windows opened, it took forever. It was easier to get in the car, get the a/c on and then open the driver's window. I remember reading about the European version, it would allow you to open all the windows with one push of the button, without having to keep holding the button down...

19. hughh

hughh New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With our Lexus, neither my wife nor me touch the fob for anything. You just touch the door handle to unlock and push to start. I think the only time I saw my wife's fob was not long ago when she was transferring her junk to another purse.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought remote A/C vent the hot air out through the rear of Prius. I don't know how effective it is vs. the window + sun roof approach.