1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removal of Orange Locking Caps on Hybrid Battery Case

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just found this, might be of interest:

upload_2018-11-30_14-46-58.png

There are a couple of round caps, orange-coloured, on the hybrid battery case, that need to be removed before you can remove the cover. I was thinking they were to show if the battery's been tampered with, but considering you remove them using the service plug, it's more likely they're for safety.

SFO likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They do indicate tampering if you don’t know about the orange safety plug trick for removal ;).

If you look at where the locks are, they are not structural support.

Good design by Toyota to catch a fast working shade tree mechanic pulling a fast one on them if they don’t know about the orange safety plug (y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But if you use the safety plug to remove the caps, there's no telltale damage?

I'm just out of warranty (by months), but maybe still in the "good will" zone...

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is correct. Insert the tool, turn counterclockwise and the internal portion loosens like a screw. Then the entire assembly just comes right off. Installation is exactly opposite.

And yes, the first couple times I removed them, it was done via mechanical agitation. Then I noticed the little nipple on the plug handle.

Many batteries also have a lightweight green tape bridging the cover sections. It will tear during disassembly, but I've seen many that were torn, yet were on obviously virgin OEM batteries.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.