1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removal of the outer rear door handles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeffao, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jeffao

Jeffao New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you remove those rear outside passenger door handles? Ive seen a thread on it, but there are no pictures so I can "see" it done. The service manual images are kind of hard for me to understand. Any help would be great, Im looking to repaint my door to match the car.

Attached Files:

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. Launce

Launce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sharing a hint. This had me baffled for days, when I went to re-install. The spring-loaded mechanism that holds the white plastic arm (the bottom of which straddles the metal latch rod on the lock, and pushes it down to open the latch) got stuck in the upright position. This meant there was nothing for the back of the door handle to hook onto when I installed it, and it just waggled loosely and was useless.

The trick was that the entire mechanism that holds the white plastic arm (the "release plate" in the photo above?) must be tilted down enough for the door handle to hook it. The page from the manual above suggests that only the white plastic arm must be moved and held. Nope -- the whole thing.

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0708.jpg