1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remove and Replace a Tail Light on 2017 Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Terry Nyberg, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Terry Nyberg

Terry Nyberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove and replace the driver's side taillight assembly on a 2017 Prius Prime? I managed to gently back into my plastic garbage can and the uppermost tail light broke after tapping the can ( it was a very cold day and the plastic was hard).

My Toyota dealer wants almost $500 to replace it. I can get an OEM replacement assembly for about $130. My understanding it could simply be a matter of removing a few bolts, or having to remove the bumper cover and rear quarter panel to access the fasteners holding the assembly in place. I do not know which. Any advice or links to step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Liz Waters likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have done similar things on my other cars in the past, but I don't know the detail involved for this procedure on PRIME. @Elektroingenieur might be the one who has access to the repair manual. Yeah, I would try to save by DIY if I could.

Liz Waters likes this.
  3. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If the dealer's $500 replacement cost includes the new lens, I would go for that in a second. I worked on that assembly for several hours trying to get the reverse bulb out & replaced. It was not easy and that did not even involve removing the lens assembly.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just to be sure we’re talking about the same part: you mean the left rear combination lamp assembly, labeled with part name code 81560(LH) in parts catalog Figure 81-11, Rear Combination Lamp?
    There’s an illustrated, step-by-step procedure in the Repair Manual (more info), of course. I haven’t done it, but it looks more tedious than difficult. Neither the bumper cover nor any part of the body needs to be removed.

Instead, the first 27 of 30 steps are to remove various interior covers and trim pieces, and one side of the rear seatback and seat cushion assemblies, to be able to remove the deck trim side panel assembly (the plastic side panel for the luggage area), after which the combination light cover and combination light assembly can be removed. Like many Repair Manual procedures, most of the steps are cross-references, and unless you work for IHS or MarkLines, it’s important to remove only the parts specified in the basic procedure, rather than continuing in the referenced procedure until you’ve disassembled the entire car.

Installation is basically the reverse of removal. You’ll want to use a torque wrench when tightening the bolts for the rear seatback hinge sub-assembly (18 N·m) and rear seatback assembly (36.8 N·m); these torque specifications are printed in double boxes, indicating their importance for “Major areas involving basic vehicle performance.” You’ll also need a molding remover set and a screwdriver.
    If you’re not experienced with automotive interiors, there’s a fair chance you’ll break some trim clips or small plastic parts, but you can buy quite a few of those, even at a dealer’s parts counter, and still come out ahead.

5. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When I tried to replace the backup bulb myself, I had to pull out a bunch of plastic clips, some of which were at odd angles, making them very difficult to get out. One of them was even harder to get back in as it was a clip that held two pieces of flexible plastic together. It was so hard to get it back in there that I almost gave up. I eventually got the dealer to replace the bulb. Afterward, I made sure to check that the dealer got it back together right. :)

BTW, the reason I gave up and brought it to the dealer is because when I pulled out the bulb socket from the lens body, the bulb fell out into the lens. I couldn't get it out no matter what I did. The dealer took two visits to get it replaced. The first time, I got my car back with several bulbs rolling around in it. :)

6. Terry Nyberg

Terry Nyberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the reply. I have ordered the replacement assembly (81550-47340). I ordered a online repair manual from ChiltonDIY, but beware, it only included a section on weld points for body repair despite the product description saying it included complete information on repair for a Prius Prime. Their site says all purchases for electronic info is non-refundable. Very misleading.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    another way to approach the repair is to take a look at a few OEM exploded parts diagrams
    of the tail light and other parts you know of in the same area that you think you might have to remove.
    Definitely, not as good as the TIS repair manual, Elektroingenieur linked to above, but it should help a bit.

8. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    buy the part, go to an autobody shop and see what they want to R&R. the rates are usually in the 50-60 range per hour. they will usually follow the manuals, and they have experience pulling apart 100's of cars for repair.
    your doesnt need any body work, just R&R the light. i bet for 150 they would do it,
    probably only take them 1/2 an hour too... you pay for their experience and the convenience to you;)
    dealers would rip you off horribly.

Liz Waters likes this.
  9. StephInMtl

StephInMtl New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Where did you find an OEM replacement for 130$?
    Looking for one, can't find anything under 300$.

MMBH likes this.
  10. michaelm2

michaelm2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just did this repair myself in my garage. I had the manual, which read as Elektro previously posted, but that is not the best way to do it. It's much easier.

Tools:
    Panel remover tool
    Philips head screwdriver
    10mm socket

First you have to remove all the push clips underneath the bumper. I believe there are 10, including two that are up in the rear wheel wells that have philips head screws on them. Then there are 2 screws in the center of the bumper, philips head, black with black washers. Here's where the repair manual says you must remove a whole bunch of things, including the back seat, to remove trim pieces to get to the last 2 bolts of the bumper. Fortunately you don't have to do any of that. The last two bolts are behind black plastic covers that go near the upper tail lamps. They can be pried off easily with very little force (put a screwdriver/panel removal tool between the black cover piece and the red plastic on the tail light. This will reveal a 10mm hex bolt on each side. These are the last two bolts holding on the bumper.

Now you can pull the bumper off. Pull outwards from each side of the vehicle. There are 5 bumper clips on each side between the bumper and the wheel well. They hold the painted plastic bumper cover onto the car. Might need to use some force to get them out. I only pulled out the side I needed access to.

Now the combination light (reverse and blinker) is accessible. First unplug a wire with a white connector near the top of the light. Next remove the reverse bulb at the bottom of the assembly (1/4 turn twist then pull it out). A small wiring harness is held in by 3 push clips with zip ties on them. Pry them out from the zip tie, or do what I did and grab them with needle nosed pliers. Next you will find 3 philips head screws that attach the combination light assembly to the car. Unscrew each one and the light can now be removed and replaced.

Put it back together in reverse order.

It took about an hour.

Elektroingenieur and Raytheeagle like this.