1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remove plug before driving?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by ericr, Jan 25, 2017.

1. martydallas

martydallas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I need to say first, I did not drive off. Pulling in the garage, grabbed the cord and plugged it in. well that is the point. an hour later I went to get something out of the garage and the little light was on nest to the car port, then I looked too the dash and the blue lights were not on ether. That seamed odd. I did not push the plug in all the way. What scared me more than not plugging it in, is that I likly could have driven off with it in and it would have done damage.

I am mad at myself, I will need to do better

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch, that never occurred to me. i'm surprised i haven't done that yet.:eek:

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You would have to ignore the "charging door open" message. Seeing that, I'd get out to check it and close it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes, i don't even see it, so ignoring it is not a problem. yes, i've been known to drive down the street with the door 'hanging ten'.:cool:

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    i pay attention to he little green light coming on, that means power is there ... there is the click when you plug it in, but that doesn't mean there's power, have one touchy outlet in the garage that sets off the fuse sometimes on its own and I had to switch to he 2nd outlet on a different circuit breaker, i am still paying attention to the green light, also when using charge point

bisco likes this.
  6. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the thought of that, the charge cable could be suspended from the garage ceiling with some type of retractable cable, so that you could just jump in the car and drive off and the cable would automatically detach and retract up into the ceiling. Seems far-fetched now, but not that many years ago if you mentioned rain-sensing windshield wipers or high beams that automatically sense oncoming cars that would have seem far-fetched also. Maybe ten years from now we will pull into our garage and park on an inductive charging pad.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we already have inductive charging, but it is not very efficient.

8. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like anything the technology should improve. Ten years though is probably too optimistic.