1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing broken glass in hatchback door?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by TMK, Oct 17, 2019.

1. TMK

TMK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the rear hatchback window in my 2016 Prius unexplainably shattered. I had a replacement in which was terrible (warped view) and is being replaced as it's defective... very warped view which sounds like an issue with replacement Prius rear windows I was told by repair company.

Because of how the glass shattered... pieces of it went between the outside metal and plastic liner. So every time I open/close it I can hear the broken glass pieces moving around.

Does anybody know of any instructions on how to remove the plastic panel to get rid of the broken glass? I would have hoped the glass repair company would do this but the one I used did not.

Thanks all.

2. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sorry to hear about your window. I’ve wondered the rear glass on these builds. Other than go back to the repair shop and complain, i do not have helpful suggestions.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would ask the glass company, and your insurance company. could be an issue with wiring

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See the Repair Manual (more info), under Vehicle Exterior: Door/Hatch: Back Door: Disassembly.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Glass pieces inside the panel in the hatch is just lazy.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO sounds like substandard work by whomever replaced your glass.
    Removing broken glass from between the panels should be part of repairing the whole thing.
    If you are really dedicated to doing it yourself, and if nobody has a direct answer, I'd ask a few body shops. A qualified one, should know how to do something like this easily.
    But it's too bad, because if you're paying out of pocket and/or your insurance is paying, you shouldn't have to deal with this.