1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing charge cable early

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by EazyPeazy, Oct 29, 2018.

1. EazyPeazy

EazyPeazy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is probably a stupid question but needs asking. I have never removed the charging cable prior to a full charge. Any problems removing before then? Just got a 120v outlet installed at work outside and can plug in now!

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No problem.
    As soon as you push the unlock blue trigger charging stops.
    It’s not like pulling the plug out of a live outlet while the appliance is still on.
    This presumes you are disconnecting from the Prime first and not the outlet.
    J

EazyPeazy likes this.
  3. EazyPeazy

EazyPeazy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the quick response! My landlord just installed the outlet today. Can’t wait to get a full charge back home now...even if the range has dipped a bit due to the colder temps.

benagi likes this.
  4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, definitely no problem there.

A *related* question has come up here periodically: Can you perform a percentage charge (charge to 80%, say, instead of always to 100%)? The answer is no; it only comprehends the idea of charging to 100%.

So then, how can you achieve that effect? The going answer is to tell it to schedule a charge (to 100%) an hour, say, later than you actually do leave, and you interrupt that charge.

That helps, but it’s not always easy to predict to what percentage it will charge: Needless to say, it makes a point to finish charging at a time before the requested departure time. Unfortunately, how much before, I at least have found, can fluctuate not-insignificantly.

#4 mr88cet, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  5. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    whats up with the fear of charging at 100% .. the car protect the battery by itself .. i mean when i see 100% in the Prius Dash indicator .. it's 80-84% on my OBDII reader app when it show 0% the reality is 12-14% so the car is never charged at 100% or emptied for real. 370-378 Volt is full charge (80-84%) and 330 Volt is the point were the engine kick in to charge and maintain the hybrid fonction portion of the battery .. so yeah .. plug it and stop worrying .. the battery will degrade over time anyway even if you take extra care of it. No problem either to pull the plug earlier , everything has been thought when they designed the car.

GSK likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only reason i can think of is people who depart home on a downhill slope that starts the engine

7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nah, that’s not the issue for me at least.

I have a ~19-mile (each way) commute, with free charging at work. So, I prefer to charge only 20ish miles (~23 on the GoM) non-free at home, and then charge full, for free, at work.

“Quasi-free” would be more accurate: ~$1/week for all I can charge around town.

#7 mr88cet, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    benagi, walterm and Flaming like this.
  8. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nope, no harm done.

To answer some myths and misconceptions.

• Charge current will not have a detrimental effect of the life of the battery. Whether you're doing 240 at 16 A, 120 at 12 A or 8 AM. There have been folks who report that charging at low current is a little less efficient. Which would make sense, inductive losses, fans running and so on.
    • 100% charge isn't actually 100%, closer to 82-83% actual state of charge. Should you coast down a long hill with a full charge it will act like a regular Gen 4 prius, ICE will start and may hear it rev up in RPM.
    • Like the above, 0% isn't 0%, closer to 14-15% SOC. 16% usually will display 1.0 miles of EV range (in my experience).
    • There are only 2 batteries (yes I have had to explain this) in the Prime. You have a regular lead acid 12 V battery which is under the hood. Mind you this is not a AGM battery that has been used in previous generations, but, it is also a European size so still going to get dinged on replacement costs most likely. The hybird battery is located beneath the rear storage area and is likewise much larger. The regular Prius HV battery sits under the seats. The HV battery in the Prime is a 95 cell lithium ion battery with a nominal voltage of 358 V, sits closer to 378 V at full charge...and because there are so many cells the pack can deliver 68kW which is calculated to be somewhere around 89 HP, but of course that doesn't mean that's what's getting to the wheels.
    • All this isn't from Toyota this is based on a combination of my observations and live data I've collected with a OBDII adapter and app on my phone.
    • The HV battery in the Prime compared to the NiMH in the regular Gen 4 Prius seems to run a lot cooler, even sitting in the sun all day, it's simply cooler. I am going to assume that is due to the overall mass and more cells to output and absorb energy on braking. Seemed the NiMH got hot with high current demands. Not saying the Prime battery won't get got but you'll have to be a pretty bad lead foot.

Weatherboy and EazyPeazy like this.
  9. EazyPeazy

EazyPeazy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the knowledge!

axle2152 likes this.