1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing front bumper

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by booke02, Jul 17, 2016.

1. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have some instructions for removing the front bumper from a Gen 4 with fog-lamps?

Looks like a some screws, bolts (and maybe grommets) under the car that hold undercover, 4? clips in each wheel arch, push clips holding plastic cover on top of bumper. Is that it?

I have bought an electrostatic front parking sensor which needs to be attached (stuck) inside the front bumper.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe you could just remove the leading underpanel piece and reach up?

3. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Mendel! What a simple idea. But you are quite right, that all I need to do.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TPA Front install doc. "The parking thing" How to take apart your new car from dash to bumper.

2016 Toyota Prius Manuals

booke02 likes this.
  5. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    James, many thanks!

6. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're supposed to click the small link, not the bug Start button ad.

Try the ones below instead.

#7 Prodigyplace, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    RCO, Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh wow, thanks a lot. Does this cover everything about the Prius? I have a 2016 Prius 3 Touring which I bought as a theft recovery and for the most part have everything put together but went to Toyota and they recommended a part but I can't tell where it goes so Im looking for and engine compartment exploding view. Would there be one somewhere on site?

Thanks

Also on that site is a Gen 4 Prius 2015/12 FMC? I see mention up to Gen3 then this.

10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No, the accessory installation manuals on toyota-tech.eu show the installation and removal of parts only when this is required to install an accessory that Toyota sells in Europe.

The comprehensive Repair Manual, Collision Repair Manual, Electrical Wiring Diagram, and New Car Features books for vehicles sold in the U.S. are available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, which also has an extensive library of Toyota technical training courses. There are similar manuals on toyota-tech.eu, but those cover vehicles sold in Europe.

You can get most of the text and illustrations from the Repair Manual in the ChiltonLibrary service, to which the Los Angeles Public Library sponsors access for its patrons. They also have the Collision Repair Manual (select the 2017 Prius to see it), but not the other documents.
    For this, I’d suggest parts.toyota.com, Toyota’s electronic parts catalog for the U.S. market.

The catalog doesn’t have a single exploded view of the engine compartment or any other area of the car. Instead, the parts are organized in figures by system. Each figure has one or more illustrations and a parts list. The illustrations show the full ten-digit or twelve-digit Toyota part numbers for a few small parts, but for most parts, the illustrations have part name codes, which you’ll find in the parts list. This allows for different part numbers, depending on the vehicle’s model, trim level, options, and production date.
    Yes. “2015/12 FMC” refers to the Full Model Change starting with December 2015 production, i.e., the fourth-generation Prius, also called the ZVW5# series. If you have Three Touring like mine, the complete model code is ZVW51L-AHXHBA.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Rbjr

Rbjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Adding to this thread,

Here is a YouTube with a guy removing one without ultrasonic sensor's...

Of course it's different with the ultrasonic sensor's..

The first part is the same. Undo the clips and screws around the outside of the bumper cover... Then the center upper grill is still locked to the front with tabs, same style as near the headlights, strong, I ended up removing the tow windows and pulling from many angles eventually pulled the bumper free of the center grill section..

After the bumper cover was loose, I could unclip the ultrasonic sensor's and the wiring from the bumper.

12. Rbjr

Rbjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good Day, A follow-up on my bumper removal..

I suggest disconnecting the under shield and Ultrasonic Sensors and Wiring from the outside two sensors first, that way they are not attached to the rest of the car when you start pulling it away from the body..
    Ultrasonics Best Removed First.jpg
    Inside Bumper with Panel and Wiring Removed.jpg

Second... Follow the rest of the procedure to get the bumper cover loose around the outside edges, headlights..

You only need to loosen the cover itself, not the black plastic frame that holds the radar and center ultrasonics.
    Only Screw, Not 10mm Big Hex Bolt.jpg

then lastly.. gently disconnect the plastic tabs from the upper black, center grill unit still firmly attached to the front, with the radar and ultrasonics.. I found that removing the tow covers, I could rock and pull and pop the tabs, I worked from the outside toward the center..
    Clips Poped Loose Center Fixed Grill.jpg
    Clips Popped Center Fixed Grill.jpg

Fender Removal..
    Stay Safe,