1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

removing front door 6x9 speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by WaterbedWarrior, Aug 12, 2009.

1. WaterbedWarrior

WaterbedWarrior Going insane!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    replacing front door speakers and stock radio Pkg II

My new 6x9's should be in this week and the weather is going to be nice all week so will be riding the motorcycle. I sanded my subwoofer box and washed it out, while waiting for it to dry, I decided to tear open the front doors to get a better look at what I had to worth with for the 6x9 replacements.

If you hate seeing a Prius ripped open, stop now. :eek:

First, you pry open the little cover on the inside of the door handle and remove it to reveal a screw. I used a small screw driver being careful not to scratch the interior this took almost no force.
    [​IMG]

Next, remove the little cover on the bottom of the door hand grip insert. Again I did this with a small screw driver. This reveals another... you guessed it... phillips screw! Exciting I know.
    [​IMG]

remove the two screws found above and then use your hands to pry gently at the bottom of the boor panel straight out. there are small plastic push clips that will pop out, some may stay in the metal part of the door, this is okay. If any break they can be purchased at your local autobody store cheap.
    [​IMG]

A few small rubber washers fell out as well, I'm assuming these came off the push pins or the body screws to help prevent rattling.
    [​IMG]

after the door panel is pulled away from the body lift up to release completely. BE CAREFUL, as you will need to disconnect the two plugs attached to the door lock switch and window switch
    [​IMG]

the plug attached to the lower light assembly,
    [​IMG]
    and the two cable attached to the door handle and the mechanical locking switch.
    [​IMG]
    After these are disconnected you can remove the panel completely and set somewhere safe.

Revealing the inner door.
    [​IMG]

So now what we came here for the 6x9 speaker, which is riveted in.
    [​IMG]

I drilled the rivets out with a #26 drill bit (.147") or you can simply use a 5/32" bit.
    [​IMG]

In the picture above note the scratch at the bottom of the panel below the drill chuck. This was not done during removal which makes me think something is rubbing on the door. Will look at it more closely tomorrow.

Leaving the speaker simply held in by the gasket.
    [​IMG]

Make sure you have removed the wiring plug on the top of the speaker and then remove the speaker and be amazed that it weights....nothing. If you ever want to fly an interesting kite on a windy day, just tie a string to this speaker assembly and you are set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which leaves us with a hole waiting to be filled, but not so fast.
    [​IMG]

the mounting depth from the top surface to the window in the rolled down position is only 2.125" or 2 and 1/8 inches. My new infinity speaker requires a top mounting depth requirement of 3". Anything less and the window will contact the speaker magnet when rolled down = bad. :(
    This means I will have to build the speaker out from the door similar to how the original toyota 6x9 was mounted. Mine probably won't be as fancy just a simple mdf ring sealed onto the speaker and the door.
    But that is project for later in the week.

Looking in the door, Toyota did add some sound deadening material, but I will be adding more while I have the doors open.

If anyone wants specific pictures or measurements of anything inside the doors while I have them open just let me know.

Until then, enjoy.
    Brian

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice job Brian. Can you photograph the wiring harness and connections for the side mirror? When the lighted mirror covers become available these will be a great asset to assist in the install.

Wayne

3. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will see about getting pics of it tomorrow.

Was looking at the speaker, it is stamped 4 ohm 20watts. Speaker is out of a 2010 pkg II.

4. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Totally annoying that the speakers are riveted in...whats your plan to attach the new speaker/mount? That looks like the cheesiest speaker ever made...look at that tiny little magnet!

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    its really sad that they are using $1 speakers.

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    use rivnuts to mount the new speakers.

7. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are these the same speakers in a III with nav?

8. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    do not know, I would say it is unlikely that the quality of the speaker would be much better though. I need to see about removing the panel up on the dash to get a look at those 2" squakers. Plus I need an idea of how this whole mess is wired. I think I read that they have a bass-blocking cap somewhere for the front squakers. Where it is located will be helpful info for how to rewire the speakers in.

9. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the nav system they use $2 speakers instead of $1 speakers :)

Kidding! (I have no idea)

Please keep updating this post, this should be good reading material! Are you just planning on upgrading the stock speakers, or are you also going to upgrade the head unit and add an amp?

Thank you
    RP1

10. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The plan:

- Replace the front door speakers, may keep the front squawkers depending on how much a PITA they are to get to and replace.
    - Currently working on a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for a JL audio 10" woofer...thread here http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/66162-custom-subwoofer-install.html
    - Replace the stock head unit, will be putting in a Pioneer Premiere DEH-P7400MP head unit (currently have) until around Thanksgiving, then will be shopping for an in-dash DVD player on black Friday.
    - Two RockFord Fosgate Punch 250a2's amplifiers, one running the subwoofer and one running the Infinity Reference 9623i 3-way 6x9's in the front doors.
    -Will probably swap out the rear door speakers when I get around to it, but plan on running them as rear fill off the head unit.

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good thread. Probably will become a sticky someday.

How much area does the sound deadening material cover? And is that white sheet some sort of heat or sound insulation? The G2 doesn't have that.

BTW, those speakers look terrible...

12. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking forward to seeing your 6x9 MDF rings!

13. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The connector has an outer diameter of 0.45" and below is a pic of it. Sorry poor lighting in the garage and flash made it just one large white blob.
    [​IMG]

Pic below of wiring harness attached
    [​IMG]

Pic of the access hole that the mirror wiring goes thru with plastic panel removed.
    [​IMG]

Fair warning, the door gasket that all the wiring comes thru makes a bend that will be damn near impossible to fish additional wiring through without removing all the current wiring. I was unable to get a new set of speaker wire through it because of the sharp bend. If someone knows a fix to this let me know, because I'm stumped.

14. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So a quick update. My jigsaw is broken, friend is lending me his this weekend, so will have to wait on the MDF rings. So I decided to run my wires. Ran 3 sets of RCa cables, only planning on running two sets at the moment, but the 3rd is ran incase I want to install and additional amplifier later to run the rear door speakers. Easier to get the cables to the head unit now. I ran new speaker cables from the rear amp up to the doors to power the 6x9's but as stated in the previous post can't get the cables through the door gasket/wiring enclosure. So will tie on to the old wires before they enter the gasket area.

Also installed sound deadening in the passenger door, doesn't sound like tin now when you tap it.

The brackets off the stock head unit will tie directly onto my Pioneer head unit, just need to go get some screws to attach it with. Taking the stock head unit to a guy I know who does stereo installation for a living, as I'm clueless as to what all the back connections are for. Hoping it will take a standard Toyota wiring adapter kit. With a little luck, I may have the 6x9's and head unit install completed this weekend except for making a custom faceplate to fill the gap left by the stock radio. [​IMG]

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Brain, could you take a picture of the rear of the stock head unit and or tell me if it has any RCA plugs for an external amp on it? Thanks again for documenting all this.

Peter

16. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Drunkin Master posted a nice pic of the back, here it is and there are no RCA connectors on the stock unit there is however quite a bit of space behind/below it that could be used to sneak a line level converter in.
    [​IMG]

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bummer. Thank you and Drunkin Master for the picture. I am not too much in the Autophile thing but what is a "line level converter" anyway? Thanks,

Peter

18. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi!

A line level converter takes speaker level inputs and converts them to RCA inputs. So, (I think), behind the radio there will be (at least) six pairs of speaker wires (one pair for each speaker) that exit the radio (they go from radio to speaker.) You would end up running the wires from the radio to the line level converter, instead of the speaker, and that would give you some RCA inputs that you can run to your amplifier.

1 person likes this.
  19. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really curious about the sqwuakers...don't know of a 2.5" drop in replacement, but it'd be nice to just put a decent tweeter up there...usually tweeters pointed at the glass give a nice diffused sound field. Can you tell if the wiring goes from the door to the sqwuaker, or is the sqwuaker fed directly from the head unit? The former seems more likely...thanks for taking the time to document all this...

While we're at it, where are you mounting you amps? Under seats? That seems like a good space...the storage compartment is so useful whereas the under seat area is sort of wasted space...

20. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was planning on mounting in the rear storage compartment, but as you mention it is very handy. I may change my mind and check how well the amps fit under the front seats. Why couldn't you have posted that BEFORE I ran my RCA cables. DOH! :eek:. (Edit: Amps fit nicely under the front seats, looks like I'll be rerouting some wires/cables today. Thanks for the great input Mike)

It looks like the front squawkers separate from the wiring prior to the wires entering the doors. I'll have to test further to determine this to be true. I'm thinking it should be as simple as disconnecting the door speaker and playing music to see if the squaker still plays.

Should be several more updates this weekend.