1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing front passenger seat to look for loose nut or something rolling around...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrimerman, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took it out before and found a piece of an earing rollng around in the hallow bar area under the seat but something else is rolling around so I pulled it off and couldn't find anything. I've read posts where people have driven around without the seat and the airbag light comes on. If I put the seat back later will the light go out? Or do you need to use the techstream stuff to reset the light? Or will a basic obdII tool work? The sounds is irritating. I wonder what other cavities I should look for nearby under the seat. It's a metal on metal sounds. Thanks

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Related ...
    I would like to know how to disconnect the seat and air bag wiring safely, so I can carry large cargo without freaking out the air bag system. I once read that one must connect a resistor across two terminals, but failed to record the details.
    Thanks!

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I want to do that also to squeeze out most mpgs. So far back seats, bench, spare tire black plastic panel, the panel folding cover- total of 69 lbs removed. And I’ve lost 15 lbs of body weight this year.

1x1, Raytheeagle and RMB like this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Just plug back in and codes will clear

Jeffrimerman likes this.
  5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow thank you for that. I'll go ahead and drive around with it out and see if I can pinpoint the area with the "marble". Someone asked about using a jump wire I wonder if one can bypass the airbag plug so that the airbag light stays off if someone did want to haul lots of stuff indefinitely. Maybe the other airbags would work with the light on?

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What happens if you drive with the plugs under the seat disconnected?

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual (more info) has a several pages of important warnings about how to avoid personal injury or property damage when working on the supplemental restraint system (SRS). The most important precaution is to disconnect the negative (–) terminal of the auxiliary (12 volt) battery and then wait at least 90 seconds before doing any work on the SRS wiring or parts. Never try to measure the resistance of an airbag or seat belt pretensioner squib, since the small current from a meter might be enough to fire the squib. The Repair Manual also explains how to lock and unlock the airbag connectors.
    It’s a 2.1 Ω resistor, as in Toyota’s SRS check wire, part number 09843-18061, connected in place of the disconnected airbag assembly. This causes the center airbag sensor assembly (the airbag ECU) to register that the squib circuit is working. The SRS warning light might still come on and stay on, however, if the occupant classification system sensors are disconnected.

Jeffrimerman and CR94 like this.