1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing glove box for more leg room

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sheikhfam123, Nov 17, 2007.

1. sheikhfam123

sheikhfam123 New Member

I just got a Prius a couple of days ago and LOVE it. The only problem is that my 15 yr old son doesn't fit in the front passenger seat. His knees are all the way to the front (he's 6'5"). As a temporary fix, I removed the lower glove box, which gives us a couple more inches. I guess I'll just cover the hole with a dark piece of flexible plastic, unless anyone knows if there is a Toyota part that would cover it. Any ideas for a more permanent fix? From what I've read, modifying the seat rail to make the seat go farther back would affect the side air bags, but that was on earlier models. I couldn't find any info on the 2008 model.

Ideas?

Thanks!

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try removing the seat completely and let him sit in the back. It may sound extreme, but it's actually pretty cool.

3. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Nov 17 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]541101[/snapback]</div>
    If you put the front passenger seat all the way forward, there should be enough legroom in the backseat for him. I carried a passenger (also 15 and 6'5") in my Prius last summer and he had enough legroom.

4. sheikhfam123

sheikhfam123 New Member

Thank you both for your ideas. We had actually thought of the back seat. There IS more leg room back there even if you don't take out the front seat :) I think we'll play it by ear for awhile and try different things, including these.

Thanks!

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky for me I'm 5 foot 5 hehe.

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    15 years old, 6' 5" ... have him run along side. He should be able to keep up. :lol:

Sezy likes this.
  7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Go with the back seat. Removing the glove box not only looks bad, but might expose your son's legs to sharp corners or other sources of injury in the event of a sudden stop. You are also exposing whatever is behind the glove box to possible damage. AND, where would you put all the stuff that goes in the glove box?