1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing Map Light cover from Sunroof model

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ticedoff8, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ticedoff8

ticedoff8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Gen III with sunroof / solar panel.
    I want to remove the map / dome light cover to expose the wiring.

Rather than break something, I am hoping that someone can tell me the easy way to remove the covers and expose the wiring.

I hoping to find the 3 wires I need to connect the wires from my new auto-dimming mirror w/ Homelink.
    I need a constant +12 (always on or on when the car is running), GND and +12v that is on only when the headlights are on.

I think the dome light switch is going to be able to provide the +12v constant.
    I think the blue LED should provide the switched +12v (it is only on when the headlights are on).
    And GND could come from anyplace.

2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a thread that addressed this, and one response had a link to http://mbu.com/prius/domerepair.pdf - whether it's the same for sunroof and non-sunroof cars I don't know. But it's a start.

The thread subject is "Cannot for the life of me figure out!" in the "Gen III 2010 Prius Accessories and Modifications" section

3. ticedoff8

ticedoff8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks.
    I will try this.
    But the illustrations seem to be incomplete.
    It does show what appears to be the sunroof slide switch, but it does not show the dome light / map light switch, its wires or the blue "shift knob spotlight" that shines down on the center console when the headlights are on.
    And, it does not show the left & right map light lens covers, bulbs or wires.
    This might be the part that is used on the non-sunroof models.

I've uploaded pics of my unit.

Attached Files:

4. kennethfuller@juno.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I agree. That appears to be a simple dome light. I have a Prius v III and have a similar map light panel. I found instructions on the Toyota Sienna Chat site. I've attempted to remove the panel but it is quite stubborn. I'm going to harbor freight tomorrow for a set of plastic trim removal tools before attempting again. I'm not yet allowed to post an image or URL yet so you will have to go to the Sienna Chat Forum and search "Overhead console Bezel". You'll find an illustration on how to remove the panel.

5. huber

huber New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

6. lucaspiller

lucaspiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't you ever manage to remove it? I'm assuming we are talking about the same bit, I want to remove the cover where the wires from the rain sensor and mirror go. I've managed to use a card to unclip the front three clips, but it seems there is something else holding it in.

Attached Files:

7. lucaspiller

lucaspiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok you just need a bit of elbow grease. Once you've got the three front clips loose just yank down on the sides and it'll come off.

Attached Files:

8. David Duggan

David Duggan New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Attached Files: