1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing oil filter w/o wrench

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, May 12, 2015.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This isn't exactly a help me fix something question, but curious on whether many of you pull your oil filters without the benefit of any sort of wrench?

With my Prius (actually my wife's), I did not have an oil filter wrench that fit the first time I changed the oil (at 1,000 miles).

Frustrated, after trying channel locks, oil filter pliers and bowing in the direction of Japan and uttering pleas to Mt. Fujiyama, I finally got under there, grabbed hold of the filter and turned. And, I THOUGHT I felt it move, eventually I was able to take it off.

Ever since then, I have not used a wrench. And, I have been able to do the same on my other non-Prius vehicle.

Oh, I did end up buying an "end cap wrench" that fits, and I have had to use it a couple of times over the past eight years, but mostly no problem removing it by hand.

Just wondering, I never tried before 2008, if that might have worked on most of my cars, or is there something "different" going on.

I doubt I am stronger now -- I'm 60 -- than I was in my 20s.

Any other "he-men" out there?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well just means you didn't tighten it enough when you installed it.

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't believe so, since they have never leaked. And the first time was the :"installed by factory" filter.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so you've been doing this since 2008 and bragging about your he-man strength now? lol

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not bragging, as I said, I am 60 and nowhere near the strength of most 20-year-olds. I imagine if I do it most others could also.

. But, if you feel you have to insult, go ahead. Doesn't bother me. :sleep:

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wasn't insulting you. I guess anybody can try to do it without a wrench, but it's just so much easier with a wrench.

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you are anything like me, your hands have better "gripping surfaces" now than they did when I was 20. :eek:
    :)

Really the usual key factor is whether or not there is a film of oil on the "can" or not.

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I gotta use one of these:

Capture.JPG

On some spaghetti sauce jar lids. My grip strength is not that great, I'm sometimes near-stymied by some ziplock bags, lol. Well actually, those are the ones that finally rip somewhere beside where they were supposed to open.

For removing the oil filter (housing, on 3rd gen), I use this:

Capture.JPG

Putting it back on, I switch ratchet for a torque wrench, set to 18 lb/ft.

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now, you know, I think you might just have hit it!(n)

Most of my cars, up until I was in my 30s, or so, could sort of been considered an oil spill on wheels, but, in those days, most cars had various and sundry oil leaks, seeps and spills all throughout the engine and it was considered mostly normal...sort of.

#9 Stevewoods, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to barehand the filters regularly on my old Ford (big old FL1A Motorcraft filter, easy to grab) and on my Mazda 323. The Mazda was barehanded out of necessity - the filter stuck straight back out of the engine toward the firewall, and maybe it was easier to access on a lift, but reaching in from above I could get a hand on it but never a tool.

I was always able to tighten those filters to spec by hand, and loosen them by hand later. I think they both specified 2/3 turn after the gasket touched. The only time I couldn't remove the Mazda filter by hand was the first time, when it had been put on at a shop. That one I had to remove by driving a screwdriver through it as a handle. Did all my own changes after that.

These Toyota (gen 1) filters are really small, and they also seem to specify 3/4 turn after the gasket touches. Usually, even putting it on, I have to reach for the wrench for that last 0.09 turn, so I don't bother trying to remove them without it.

I think my favorite tightening spec was on old Mitsubishi filters: "Then tighten enough by hand."

-Chap

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a lotta confusion/lore about oil filter torque values, and Toyota could lay that to rest if they included oil filter instruction in the Owners Manual. But no.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I feel Toyota would prefer people not go under their car and get crushed from stupidity......and then get sued.

13. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhhh, sure you want to go there.:mad:

Remember, people not gender! ;)

I have mostly been taking off the filters by hand for the past several years....if you amend it to "he-person," I will be happy. :p

O.K., yes, I am screwing with you. :D

And, yes, you have a bit of a doubter who does not seem to believe our "strength," but we can ignore him.:ROFLMAO:

I don't remember why I ended up trying the sans wrench method. Probably something along the line of not having the wrench either.....

But, not having to use one, makes it a lot easier.

As an aside, I managed to run over a big curb and "clunked" my Fumoto Valve pretty good on the oil pan, but no leaks and the valve worked fine after.

#13 cyberpriusII, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015