1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing plastic wheel covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by splashback, May 4, 2007.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 4 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]435583[/snapback]</div>
    I just took the tack that it really didn't matter one way or the other.

But really? Somebody said this? Was this just a sales guy at a dealership, or a real Toyota guy? I'd heard it before from a real Toyota guy as well, though not with a specific number like 0.4mpg. I heard it simply as "it gets better mileage."

As for my electric Rav... I'd FAR rather have an electric Prius. Way better vehicle in all ways... except the gas-burning part. Add that, and the Rav wins the "better" game easily, I'm afraid.

2. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 5 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]435863[/snapback]</div>
    Actually it was a post from '200Volts' on the other thread I mentioned earlier. So take it for what it's worth :)

I took the trim rings off last night and agree the wheels look better without. However I'm still full of envy when I look at the color choices and rims from the 2007 Japanese Prius! :angry: (See Card)

I'd certainly agree on having an electric Prius! Perhaps someday....

3. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 4 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]435387[/snapback]</div>
    Natural selection or an evolutionary adaptation?

We can't call it an intelligent design unless someone can prove that they actually increase MPG (which is sort of a GOD on PriusChat).

I took mine off and never looked back.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 5 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]435863[/snapback]</div>

They must have had some tight controls on that test. I wonder if the MPG is increased as significantly by adding or removing the Chassis stiffening Plate from Toyota or the Heavy Al BT plate?

And thanks darelldd for all of your great information hear and on your EV site. Excellent information and pictures.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 4 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]435389[/snapback]</div>
    Darwood are you up by Walden pond or down by Newton MA? I hope nobody five fingers my Carpool stickers.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: QUOTE: "p.s. Darwood, don't know if there are lots of other Prii where you live, but it'd be super easy to "5 finger discount" a replacement trim ring for you car."

I'm happy that I don't live in this forum member's area. A much more legitimate approach would be to post the need of a trim ring in the "Private Sales" area of PriusChat. I've seen trim rings 'free' if you will only pay the shipping cost. For example: I have two brand new 'in the package' extra trim rings that came with my 2004 Prius which could be available, thus avoiding theft as a solution.

5. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info on the rings... Just so happens today, I went out this to install the mud flaps. While taking off the rear wheels I felt how crappy the ring was was and was thinking about "gotta go". First thing tomorrow am, I'll take them off. Thanks.

6. dmohilo

dmohilo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splashback @ May 4 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]435371[/snapback]</div>
    I removed mine as soon as I got my Prius home. I considered storing them for a moment and decided that I could use the space for something else. I ended up getting about $70 for them on eBay.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmohilo @ May 12 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]440828[/snapback]</div>
    I actually think the wheels look better with the trim rings on, but only because the underlying wheel was designed to have them - that's why there's that wierd/ugly indentation at the end of each spoke. Either way, the wheels on the base Prius ain't pretty. They're easily the car's weakest aesthetic link, with or without the trim rings.