1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing suntan lotion from paintwork and headlamps

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kiwiruss, Jul 3, 2012.

1. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

My 7 year old decided to spray suntan lotion on the sides and headlamps of my car and it was dried on before I discovered it.

Needless to say I googled and decided to try a toothbrush with DAWN dish washing detergent. This worked pretty well on the paintwork but not the headlights.

I'm looking at trying he below product for the headlights.

MeguiarsDirect.com:Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit

Has anyone got experience with this product?

2. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Future auto detailer in the making?:D

Try using rubbing alcohol and water with a little liquid soap. The alcohol may cut the chemicals in the sunscreen and the soap and water my help clean it off. This may work. Do not use Goobegone or anything caustic as the plastic will cloud up and you will not be happy. You could also call an expert auto detailer if you have a reputable one in your area.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

3. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try warm, sudsy water (Dawn works well) with a few drops of ammonia added (just a few).

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I take it the toothbrush put scratches all over your plastic headlight covers. Without looking out it, it would only be a guess, but any of the top three headlight restoral kits would help. Here's a LINK to an article on the subject at AUTOGEEK.Com.

I'd get a mild kit and do it maybe two or three times. Don't want to rush the fix.

5. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the damage done by the suntan lotion. The Meguiars kit is for restoring badly sun damaged lenses. For old clouldy lenses, they'll look a lot better, but for clear new lenses you'll likely be disappointed. Consider it major surgery that should only be used as a last resort.

6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toothbrush!?! That had to cause more damage than the lotion!

7. jgestar

jgestar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A spray suntan lotion also has solvents and propellants in the formula. Those can have an evil effect on clear plastics (insect repellant is even worse). You may have damage that is hard to polish out. Call your insurance agent and see if your coverage will replace the damaged headlamps. That would be easier than trying to repair them.

Tom

8. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

I tried the Dawn mix with water first, but this didn't budge it. I'll try alcohol on the weekend.
    Thanks for all the replies.

9. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sunscreen contains metal oxide suspensions such as zinc and titanium - these contribute to its opacity. Maybe on a whim try a solution such as CLR which can remove other types of inorganic scum?

10. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OP, Any updates?