1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing the protector cap on the J1772 connector

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Tickwood, Sep 13, 2019.

1. wayne penno

wayne penno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    HUH? why is the answer simply NO. I believe the answer is YES! Why couldn't simply install the missing hardware and have your Prime do the exact thing the Japanese version does , get a full charge in 12 minutes! I am actively researching how to do just this and if anyone has any helpful or constructive information on accomplishing this task please feel free to post is on the new thread I'm starting for this topic. "Add CHAdeMO to 2019 Prime"

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, a more elaborate answer would be. It may be possible, but it would be a prohibitively expensive and difficult mod, that will require the knowledge of the inner workings of engineering of the car which Toyota is not likely to share with DIYers. Finding missing parts would be possible, but getting them from Japan would be very expensive. Even if you can get all the hardware, modifying software that controls the charging is going to be even harder than hardware mods. By that time, it would be cheaper to just import a Japanese version of Prius PHV to the US. Moreover, even if you had CHAdeMO on US PP, what good does that offer? There is no place in the US where you can find a CHAdeMO charge station every 25 miles.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. wayne penno

wayne penno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Not sure why you think it would be "prohibitively expensive and difficult mod"? Can you elaborate? Do you have a parts list you can share? This is what I'm looking for. Once I have a parts list I can tally up the total and decide if its too expensive or difficult to proceed or not.
    Secondly getting parts from Japan is not as difficult as you seem to think it is. I have a JDM Toyota Hilux and I get parts from Japan all the time at a very reasonable cost.
    Lastly I'm not sure why you would want a CHAdeMO station every 40km. I live 40km from town and only need one CHAdeMO station to recharge in 12minutes once I get there.

If anyone else has any Constructive ideas that could potentially benefit everyone else interested in this idea please share and lets get this done. I personally think that getting my hands used Japanese 2017,18, or 19 prime that has suffered a crash on the front end and been written off, might be the cheapest easiest way to go. I'm told that if these cars suffer a collision on the front right corner it almost always results in a write off. This location contain alot of expensive parts. The rest of the vehicle should have the parts intact that could be transferred to my 2019 Prime and "Bobs ur Uncle".

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A flip UP door (like the ole flipup license plate cover for the gas cap) to protect the EVSE handle from rain and snow. Would make it easier for her to put the plastic bag over the handle when it rains.:rolleyes: