1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Removing the side ears/I mean mirrors

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by WesleyRiccipio, Aug 22, 2022.

1. WesleyRiccipio

WesleyRiccipio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I really don't like my side mirrors on the gen 3..I just don't like side mirrors in general I suppose. I am interested in removing them, so I first looked into the legality (still need to fact check this).

So I'm going to try and remove them.. it's legal in my state. Plus, I have a front and back camera wide angle lense kit. It will cover the blind spots and has a high resolution screen that hooks onto the rear view mirror.

Does anyone remember seeing any prii pics without their two side mirrors? forgive me but I'm struggling here.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Never plan on leaving the state? Good luck.

bisco likes this.
  3. WesleyRiccipio

WesleyRiccipio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually do plan on leaving within the next 6 months! The states I'm driving through are also lenient.

Unfortunately there is a overarching federal law (see below in red). I now need to find out 1) how seriously cops would take this if they saw my car and 2) what the range of potential penalty would be.

Federal regulations (49 CFR Subpart B - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) override state law in the area of vehicle configuration. Federal law requires rear view mirrors and side view mirrors, and this is not subject to override by state law. Cameras do not yet appear to be authorized as a substitute for physical mirrors.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.111

"S5.1 Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification."

"S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification..."

"S5.3 Outside rearview mirror passenger's side. Each passenger car whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side..."