1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rented a 2010 - questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by creativeguy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I rented a 2010 V for the day and drove the heck out of it yesterday. I've always wondered if the stereotypical Prius drives slow because of the driver or the limitations of the car. I was pleasantly surprised that this car has plenty of power when you need it for entering freeways, passing, and going up hills. Over 250 miles yesterday, driving very un-priuslike, the trip computer showed 46MPG. Pretty impressive.

Overall I liked it, but if I choose to buy it will definitely be a lifestyle change from my Acura. Here are some questions I have based on my experience:

1. The audio control of the Nav, bluetooth, and audio seemed very limited compared to my Acura. I often got into situations where after going a few menus into a feature, there was no audio command to continue what I was trying to do. So I had to press a button on the screen to continue. Is this true or am I missing something? The Acura voice control I am accustomed to is just amazing.

2. The sun glare on the nav screen was pretty annoying all day. Are people buying those plastic visors I've seen discussed in other threads? Does it help?

3. My Acura has a daytime/nighttime override button for the Nav display so that I can still view the nav screen in day mode even if my headlights are on. Does the prius have this? I had to turn my headlights on on a rural road at 3PM and all the instrumentation in the car disappeared.

4. I haven't seen much discussion over alarms. I know the prius has the immobilizer, but that only prevents someone from stealing the whole car. Are people buying alarms for this car?

5. I liked the audio traffic alerts, but otherwise it seemed really difficult to quickly look at the traffic on the highways in the area. Maybe that was due to the screen being washed out by the sun all day.
    It was pretty humorous when I was sitting still in heavy end of the 4th traffic and the voice announced "Caution, heavy traffic". Like I didn't know!

Thanks for comments.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions. My information is based on the Gen II, but I believe it also applies to the 2010 Gen III:

3. Roll the dimmer button full up past the detent. On the Gen II you can also select Daytime Mode from the MFD.

4. The alarm system was standard on most Gen II Prius. You could optionally install a glass breakage sensor.

Tom

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, there is an override. You roll the dimmer wheel all the way to the top, past the click point. There's also an override for the nav screen, by hitting the display button and then the daylight mode on screen button.

I hate car alarms, but there is an OEM part available that adds the alarm and glass breakage sensor.

1 person likes this.
  4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a Toyota, the voice command feature on the Prius is better than the other Toyotas or Lexus vehicles I've owned. But that's not saying a whole lot. I think Honda/Acura does a better job on the voice command, and prefer how Garmin does the NAV setup.

5. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah. The Honda/Acura systems are great. My first thought when thinking about a hybrid was the Insight, because it has all the same tech I'm used to, but that car was a disappointment overall. The prius is very smooth at switching between gas and electric modes. Sometimes I didn't even realize if the engine was running or not. When I accelerated from a stoplight in the Insight, and the engine started up, the whole car shook. So that car is definitely out.

6. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks; I never knew that!

7. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I traded in an Infiniti for my Gen III. I test drove a Gen III w/ Nav at the dealer and had many of the same you expressed. I chose to ditch the package w/ Nav and went for a Package II. For Nav, I use a dash-mounted portable Magellan, which is great. It resolved all my Nav concerns and saved me thousands. The Magellan cost around $250.00 and is the same maker as the "Never Lost" system you'll find in Hertz rental cars. A great product. Plus, I don't have worry about theives breaking into my car for the in-dash nav!