1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rented a 2013 Prius Three with Solar roof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by prinut, Apr 2, 2013.

1. prinut

prinut Pri Nut

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have not signed on the dotted line as yet...and I was still on the fence whether to get a Prius or not.
    So, I went ahead and rented a Prius for approx $40.00/day for 3 days. I did get it the night before so it was in my possession from Thursday night thru Sunday night.

I filled up the tank, drove 260 miles, filled the tank, it took 4.67 gals that works out to 55.67 mpg.
    I did drive a bit on the judicious side, not doing much 'POWER' acceleration, I stayed within the speed limit around town and drove at 72 mph on the highway for over 10 mins with 4 people in the car.

Overall, I put 510 miles on the car and used 9.5 gals, that works out to 53.68mpg....This included normal driving (accelerating with the indicator in the POWER range). I did not use the POWER button.
    Btw, I'm in South Florida and the roads here are flat as a pancake.

The solar roof was a nice option to have....but it does cost a pretty penny, I believe someone says it a $1500-$2000 option. It is a bit noisy when you open it even in the tilt mode. Plus, I have been reading about the moisture that gets into the system after the warranty period. In SoFl, where there is high humidity, I'm going to think twice about that option.

So, I am now a non-skeptic....If you just drive the car without being a leadfoot, you can achieve 50+mpg.

Those who are griping that they are not getting good mileage, I can only say that if you want good mileage, you have to make some adjustment in your driving habits. Nothing comes without a price.
    So, drive the Prius with a gentle foot, in town the guy who whisks by you in his fast car will only have to stop longer at the signal light ahead, while you arrive at the light waiting less time for it to change!!

My current problem is that I like the ground effects package, don't know if I care about the 17" wheels since I read they make the ride more stiff and the turning radius is reduced since there seems to have a bit more circumference (I could be wrong). Can anyone chime in on that?

Is there a Prius Three with ground effects only? The persona package seems pricey!!

Thoughts anyone?

2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm not getting good mileage.. as you noted but I think that' s due to all the hills around here.

17" wheels reduce turning radius is incorrect. It doesn't change the wheel base of the car nor does limit the wheels from turning.

Persona package pricey? It's about the same price or less than as Piii with Plus package.

Good luck!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The real benefit of the solar roof is not based on the ability to open it. It is the simple fact it helps keep the interior cooler than if you didn't have the option. Plus it looks really sweet.

I had it on my 2012 Three and loved it in the 110F temps here in Cali. It wasn't an option on my PIP and I miss it. :(

4. Zormico

Zormico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't think the Persona is pricy. Biggest turn on for me are the 17s (yes it reduces the MPG a tad but IMO makes the Prius look better) and the leather.**

Sunroof package (like F8L states) is more for the fan powered by the solar panel to pump in fresh air on them super hot days than it is for the Sunroof imo. very nice feature, just need to figure out if the $$ is worth it for you

as far as turning radius on the 17's, the specs do show a couple more inchs in turning radius but it still can take pretty sharp U-turns.

**These are the opinion new prius owner that has yet to fill up a tank and is still stuck in crappy cold and snow weather. :p

5. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the sunroof option in S Fla, it was a must have for me but I've been daily driving a convertible vette for 11 years.

I find the solar fan overrated and kind of a gimmick...it's still hot in the car when you park in the sun. It does look high tech and the open roof is worth the price here in Sunny SFLA, I seldom use the AC in the car and the roof is great. Windows down buffets too much on the highway, can't carry on a phone conversation but with the roof open you can.

6. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea, I got the sunroof option for the sun roof, not the solar feature. Sunroof was a must have for me. However, I do leave the solar ventilation switch on, since it's been heating up here in socal. Not sure how much I'm benefiting from it though.

7. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    if you buy one and you're concerned, i'll interested in buying the plus wheels off you. (y)