1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reoccurring Antifreeze Leak with Water Pump after 3 Repairs (so far)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seak, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Seak

Seak New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello Good People, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with an issue in regards to reoccurring leaking water pump or connected parts. After I bought my 2005 Prius I took it to a Toyota dealer for an evaluation, they recommended replacing some air filters and replacing a leaking water pump. They brought me back and showed me the crusty remains of fluid on one of the joints on the assembly.(I never saw any fluid under the car) I had the work done and in a week I was getting plate size leaks under the car; took it in and they gladly replaced the unit, in about another week, I was getting a steady drip that seemed to be growing in size every day, took it in this morning; I was told, that the entry point hadn't been properly cleaned and crusty old fluid was preventing a perfect seal. They cleaned the area, so that it's flush. Got home this afternoon and within 3 hours I have 2 fluid spots in 2 different location; cleaned the pan waited another 3 hours ...and sure enough I have another 2 spots in same area as previous. There are 2 places leaking, small but there. Could it be residue fluid dripping from the unit? I know time will tell, but I have never had this kind of issue with any mechanic before. So, is there a problem with water pumps leaking for Prius 2005? Is this a thing? Previous to replacing water pump, the vehicle was not leaking in a way that I saw fluid on the ground (or pan) and now it is, so I know it's possible for the car to be leak free. This seems so strange to me. Any advice about what may be happening?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's still leaking now, you need to address this with the service manager. The same tech has been doing the work over and over again (since he got paid for it). Maybe he's not doing something right and need someone like their shop foreman to do it right.

This should not be handled with the service adviser level anymore. Demand that they provide you with a rental car until they sort out this problem. Have them keep it overnight to make sure it doesn't leak before picking it up

SFO likes this.
  3. Seak

Seak New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks; yesterday they told me the team leader was working on it, but obviously didn't do a pressure check on the system after the repair was complete to make sure. Incredible. That's a good idea in having them keep it, so they can watch it for themselves. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that. I appreciate the suggestion.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the replacement working area is tight and not easily viewable, there is a possibility that old gasket material is sticking to the mating surface creating said leak(s). Cleaning the surface and insuring that the new gasket was installed correctly should remedy the situation.

Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OEM gasket is not like the cheap aftermarket paper stuff, it's actually a metal gasket. Maybe there are 2 gaskets on there......one that's stuck, one that's new

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When the OEM metal gasket gets old it will get stuck to a sealing surface. It can (and relatively often does) get stuck to to engine so bad that a piece of sealing coating that originally coated the metal gasket is left stuck on the engine when gasket is pulled off. Of course it could also be that there is two gaskets there.

Either of these problems should have been easily seen by the mechanic doing the job.